Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Scope Mounting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scope Mounting

I'm mounting a Leupold scope / Leupold rings on a Rem 742. The vertical adj. maxs out on upward adj and its still 10 inches low at 25 yds. I need to shim the back ring. Do I need brass shim stock or will electrical tape work as well?
    Later RL

Post Thanks / Like

Randall, have you tried unscrewing the dial most of the way then running it back down? sometimes that helps. As for the shim, electrical tape may work, but the easiest way imo would be to cut a little peice of an alluminum can and shim with that, it won't rust and can be cut very easily..... Let us know what you end up doing.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Some scopes have two adjustment rings on windage and elevation, one makes major changes the other makes fine tuning. Check out the scope instructions or go by a gun shop for advice. Good luck, tape is a no no will give after awhile. Ferdi, aka Fred

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ferdi.Tape will allow the scope to shift after awhile and it won't stay sighted in.I would either shim it with aluminum stock or brass.Or better yet just get the correct rings for that application.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on taking it to a Gun shop........10" @ 25 yds is a lot........something's not right.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It would be gunsmith for me to. I would hate to hear u miss a big buck because of it. (scope mounting)
    Last edited by DKR; 10-10-2007 at 04:29 PM.
    Live and Learn."Life's short fish Hard"

Post Thanks / Like

dont shim it , that aint the right rings. I went through the same thing with my a-bolt. had to try diffrent types until found the right ones.
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You said that you were using Leupold Scope and Rings, but you didn't mention what type of base you are using, see thru, one piece, or 2 piece etc. and are the rings dual dovetail or one dovetail and windage. Your problem don't usually happen with correct bases and rings, especially Leupold.