Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just installed a new flasher on the front of my boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just installed a new flasher on the front of my boat

Installed a new Vexilar FL12 flasher, bought at Sportsmans wharehouse Friday afterwork.

I have a Lowrance X125 on my dash and like it. I tuned it so I can see my lure going up and down as I jig it under the boat.

I've never used a flasher and I like the idea of being able to see in real time what my bait is doing in relationship to anything around it. The DVD that came with it showed ice fisherman jigging and you could clearly see their jig and the fish coming up to it. Way cool.

I like to crappie fish at night with lights and I'm looking forward to playing with this flasher to see what it can do. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Will be heading out Friday night.

If anyone has any tips for flashers I'd sure appreciate them. Thanks
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flasher

I fished with flashers for many years before moving to graphs. In fact, I have a Zercom flasher in the dash of my boat that I use for navigation at high speeds. It gives real time information. My only suggestion is to turn the gain up until you are receiving two bottom echos, then barely back off until the second one disappears. I caught more fish with a flasher than with graphs, I spend too much time tinkering with the graphs. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.vexilar.com/pages/support...rt_videos.html

The link above has some really good vids of ice fisherman using these flashers to catch fish. Now, down here in South Texas we ain't going to get any iced over lakes but the principles should be the same. I never realized how good these flashers are. If your are not familair with flashers, watch some of those videos. It will peak your interest.

I plan to use my LCD graph to locate schooled/suspended fish and then go back through the area with my flasher and marker buoey. I like to anchor up at night and throw out the lights. I typically just fish the same old spots but this Friday I'm going to look around and fish purely based on what the graph and flasher tell me. If it shows a lot of fish I'm going to give it a try...regardless if it puts me in the middle of the lake...-I'm used to fishing close to the bank.

I've watched every video, read every book/instruction manual and I feel very comfortable with this gear. Hopefully I will become a better fisherman now. Come on Friday night. Hopefully I'll be able to report some good luck.

My ultimate goal is to find fish during the day and not have to rely on lights at night to pull them in.
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

I really like this flasher. I've been able to locate fish and present my bait at the correct depth in real time. They don't always bite but at least I know that they are there. I've called several bites to my fishing buddy an instant before they happened.

That's always fun. :D

I can see my weight and my minnow when fishing vertically on this flasher. I have it mounted to my trolling motor. Only issues I have is trying to spider rig/troll with a light weight aluminum boat. The wind is hard on me.

I am very happy with this flasher. It is super sensitive and easy to use.

My main graph is an X125 from Lowrance. It's pretty good too.

Happy New Year
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

DHanis_Dude

Have you had any success with the crappies at Choke??

AJ

Post Thanks / Like

No success unless it's spawn.

I know they are there but I have not been able to find them...........

Wish there was a crappie guide in the area....
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Flasher

DHanis_Dude

I am installing a 797 Si on my boat this weekend and will see if it has any success in locating the crappie. Will let you know.

AJ

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck. If I ever figure them out I'll let everyone know....That lake is tough.

Any East Texas guides want to come down to Choke and show us how to catch em?
    -Arnie