Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: want'a do the right thing--need help

Post Thanks / Like

Default want'a do the right thing--need help

I've been reading all the threads on spider riging and have a few questions befor I buy my rods.First off,I am only going to use [4] rods at the front of the boat.I already have my rod holders [driftmaster's.I notice that most of you use 12 rods with a spinning reel.I, think from what i read on here,you need a rod with guides and a reel vs a pole without a reel?Please correct me if I'm wrong,no hard feelings.Next,is the reason most of you use 12'poles because the are 2-piece?It seems that if you go longer than 12' all the poles are 3-piece?I haven't seen a 14' pole in a 2-piece model.Is this correct or is there some other reason?Next,what is the best pole for the job?By best,I'm not talking about the most expensive,just a good pole that will do the job and not have to worry about breaking it too much.Since I have to buy the poles to start with,Idon't want to buy something that would be a problem to use or not be right for the job [ie--waste my money].Would all you spider riggers please jumpin here and give a greenhorn some good advice and/or suggestions please.Iwant to buy this week and need help.If you don't want to post on here for some reason please e-mail me [email protected]
    thanks

whiplash Guest

Default spider rigging

Quote Originally Posted by sam1
    I've been reading all the threads on spider riging and have a few questions befor I buy my rods.First off,I am only going to use [4] rods at the front of the boat.I already have my rod holders [driftmaster's.I notice that most of you use 12 rods with a spinning reel.I, think from what i read on here,you need a rod with guides and a reel vs a pole without a reel?Please correct me if I'm wrong,no hard feelings.Next,is the reason most of you use 12'poles because the are 2-piece?It seems that if you go longer than 12' all the poles are 3-piece?I haven't seen a 14' pole in a 2-piece model.Is this correct or is there some other reason?Next,what is the best pole for the job?By best,I'm not talking about the most expensive,just a good pole that will do the job and not have to worry about breaking it too much.Since I have to buy the poles to start with,Idon't want to buy something that would be a problem to use or not be right for the job [ie--waste my money].Would all you spider riggers please jumpin here and give a greenhorn some good advice and/or suggestions please.Iwant to buy this week and need help.If you don't want to post on here for some reason please e-mail me [email protected]
    thanks
    I use 14' WM and B&M ----you can buy extra tips for the B&M (saves money) you need a reel (your choice) the reason I use 14' is shallow water (stay away from fish) richard williams has a good article on crappie stuff.com on spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Choice

Most any 12' graphite rod on the market will work just fine. I have a variety (BnM, Southern Pro, Crappie Wizzard (Richard William's rods), Wally Marshal signature, etc.) and they are work well for slow trolling or tightlining or in holders with slip floats.

The whites, hybrids and stripers had all the crappie in hiding Sunday morning. But we did land a few. The fattest one was near 10 lbs. Landed with with one of Richards rods with a cheap spinning reel with 6# test and a extra light wire aberdeen hook. Took nearly 20 minutes and got dizzy spinning the boat to keep him in front of us so he wouldn't break off.

Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Personal preference

So much of the decisions should be based on the type water you fish and what your personal preferences are.
    Yes the Wally Marshall 14" rods are 3 piece. Does that matter to you?
    Do you fish some clear water? If you do the longer the rod the more distance between you and the fish. Pre spawn fish may be suspended 2 ft over 20 feet of water. If you are going to tight line those fish, it seems to me a long rod would be better.
    What weight sinker are you going to use. I think the Wally Marshall 16 ft. rods are a little stiff for any sinker less than 3/4 oz. I have never used a B&M so I can't comment on that.
    In my opinion it is better to have one brand of rod. The reason is the action ( bend) is the same. When you are running 4 rods with 1/2 oz sinkers I like for
    all them to have the same bend. It is very easy then to see when something
    , be it fish or a hang, changes the bend just slightly.

I read the Capps and Coleman book and some internet articles when I got started. Wally Marshall was the rods that were mentioned and they were on sale at Bass Pro Shops. I started with them and for the reason listed above I have stayed with them. I bought some of another brand and when I saw it was limberer than my others and was always hanging lower or I had to adhust the holder making the center of it higher, I sold them.

I own 20 Wally Marshall's. If I had started with B & M or Outlaw or what ever I would own 20 of them. I have never broke a tip. On another thread someone turned that into an opportunity. When they broke one they went to BPS and purchased another rodlike the one they broke. They waited several days, took the receipt abd the rod they broke back and received a new rod.
    Now they own a another rod. I was in the retail business for 20 years and I have been on the receiving end of that too many times for me to do it but it is done frequently.

If I were starting over today, and was only going to tight line I would buy 4 Wally Marsahll 14 ft. rods and 4 of his new casting reels.

MY second choice woud be 4 Richard Williams 12 ft. rods. and 4 of the WM reels. I just like a casting reel. Richard has a 4 pack of 12 ft. rods for about $32.00 each and the ends are a diffrent color already. I have never used them but all the post about them have been positive.

http://www.crappiestuff.citymax.com/...69/1030185.htm

good luck.

It's never to late to have a second childhood.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The truth is, if you are going to be slow trolling only, it won't matter which rod you use from the before mentioned selection. B'n'M, Wally's, Richard's, Lexus, Crappie Commander, they are all gonna do the same thing for you. I would consider the B'n'M or Richard Williams rods. The reason is B'n'm is a sponsor of this great site, Richard contributes to this site. Wally does also.

Long poles for clear water are a sure bet. I use my fourteens all the time however. I started a few years ago with 10's, then went to 12's, and now I use the newer 14' Pro Staff trolling series rods from B'n'M. I also use baitcasters on mine because I have found it alot easier to work. The Pro Staff trollers have a longer reel seat that accomidates the reel in front of the rodholder. I like that because you do not have to fight the reel getting out the holder, giving you a more precise and less flawed hookset.

One thing that I can say about Richards rods is that they are also a pretty good rod for vertical jigging also. Meaning they are somewhat more sensitive than your standard long rod. I found this out at the classic last year in South Carolina. I had left my two B'n'M Sam Heaton Super Sensitives at home. I prefished and fished the first day of the tournament without a good jigging pole. I found the bite to be sensitive so there are no telling how many hookups I missed by not having my jigging rods. I could' nt catch anything slow trolling neither. I ran into Richard and some friends at the hotel I was staying at and I got one of his rods. I fished with it the next day and caught a couple of those finnicky fish. I didn't like it as much as my normal vertical jig rod, but it worked pretty good. my son now fishes with it because he likes the fluorescent tip, he says it is easier to see.

Baitcasters are great, I strongly reccomend them.

As far as rods go, look at your water conditions, If you need anything over 12' I would go with the B'n'M Pro Staff trolling series rods, under 12' it's all on you. Use Richards if you would like them to double as jigging poles also.

No offense to the other vendors, Wally, Crappie Commander, or any I missed by not giving love for their products. I just haven't used them, so I cannot tell you how they rate. They are however more than welcome to send me some to try out anytime.wink,,,wink.....Me and my son are looking for sponsors this year on the trail. Hint Hint!!!

Anyway, hope I helped. Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend that you buy a rod that has a replacement tip available for sale(Richard Williams Rods) If one of your fishing buddies steps on it or slams it in a storage door it can be replaced without paying for a brand new rod. The replacement tips are cheaper than the rod.

Quote Originally Posted by sam1
    thanks

sar'elilsucrsnagr Guest

Default spider rigging

In regard to rods, look at e-bay for noodle rods, they come in all different lengths...I use a 10' for casting and bobber fishing as you can bobber fish 9' deep without having to go to a slip cork...these rods are well priced and usually IM-6 or IM-7 graphite...

Post Thanks / Like

I would certianly get a spinning reel to go with it as opposed to hearing some people just wrapping line somewhere around the rod itself, I couldn't imagine trying to use it that way.....

Anyhow....I would try....for the front of the boat to go no shorter than 8'......I personally go 8', 10', 12' and 14' off each side in the front....giving me 8 rods total in front.....you can build up to that.....maybe starting with just 10' and 12'....since you said you are only going to use 4 rods in front!

Off the back I use rods ranging from 5' to no larger than 7'.....my 7's are on the far outside of each side....and they in no way interfere with my 8's in the front because they are not straight out to the side...they are angled more like 45 degrees....

Not to mention, the person in the front is usually fishing heavier than the person off the back to avoid line conflict.

I hope this helps!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>