Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returing Garmin micro SD card.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Returing Garmin micro SD card.

I'm sending the Garmin micro SD card with South Central Inland Lakes back to Garmin. this card goes in my new 76CSx mapping GPS. After a ton of research, i had decided to get this micor card. it has 5 states of lake maps in it, and is pretty impressive, but, what i didn't know is that you cannot upload the maps to your computer. they stay on the card in the gps and cannot be transfered. you can transfer all of your waypoints and routes, but not the maps. what that does, is let you upload these to the very basic map that is on the Garmin waypoint and trip manager CD i bought and installed on my computer. After talking to the second Garmin software tech, (the first one said i could transfer the maps), i found out you can't. So they are exchanging the SD card for the Inland Lakes CD. Now, the lake maps will reside on my computer with full definition, and then i just transfer what lakes i want to my GPS. I think this will be a whole lot better, as i will be able to have all my waypoints and routes on the computer with all the lake contours, channels, etc. and not just a big blue blob that is supposed to be a lake. I thought i might pass this info along to others that may be getting the same.
    jm

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much JM. That will keep me from making the same goof up.
    1967/68

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Garmin's data card is a big rip off. It is dedicated, so I was (again) forced to purchase a memory card (512 Meg). It cost about 200 bucks. If they had used a standard SD card, I could have got it at wal mart for 20 bucks (or less). This is consumer gouging at its best. No doubt in my mind.

I like the Garmin 276C, but it came with the "big hose".
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

That is the same as the Navionics Premium maps I have can only use them on my GPS Depthfinder. Wish I could study them on the Pc. But can not.
    That is unless I buy something to allow me to hook up my hummingbird 987 to the Pc and also power it up also
    Pete

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A possible work around. Navionics will work in Lowrance products according to Panman. If they work there then they should work using Lowrance's map create. I mention this because Lowrance has come out with a new version of Map Create and I know some people are upgrading to it. I'm considering it. Anyway you might be able to get one of the older copies very cheap. I believe Keith also has Map Create so maybe he can test it for you. If I can find a Navionics card to borrow I'll see if it will work. I have a Fishing Hot Spots card the I can view using Map Create but don't know if that card works in other units.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I already had the fishing Hot Spots CD (before I got the 276c). Before I could load Fishing Hot Spots to the Garmin, I had to buy the memory, then get a code from Garmin to load the maps on the card. Can't remember details. It sucked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    A possible work around. Navionics will work in Lowrance products according to Panman. If they work there then they should work using Lowrance's map create. I mention this because Lowrance has come out with a new version of Map Create and I know some people are upgrading to it. I'm considering it. Anyway you might be able to get one of the older copies very cheap. I believe Keith also has Map Create so maybe he can test it for you. If I can find a Navionics card to borrow I'll see if it will work. I have a Fishing Hot Spots card the I can view using Map Create but don't know if that card works in other units.
    As far as I can tell, only the depth finder can read the maps. I can't find a way to display them on the PC. MapCreate will display FHS maps on the PC, but not Navionics.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Smile panman-va

If you want to view the navionics chip on the pc you can follow the link and down load one of the depth finders. If you have a lowrance you will know how to get the maps up. Works like a champ....Sorry, I got ahead of myself. First you will need a card reader. then download a unit that has gps. Go to menu..Map data...Then navionics map choice. click to the right so you can see what map you want. Hit enter and wait for it to load.. I use the lcx-19c all the time
    http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Em...s/default.asp:)
    Last edited by crip47; 10-07-2007 at 07:57 PM.
    CVA62.....64-68

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    That is the same as the Navionics Premium maps I have can only use them on my GPS Depthfinder. Wish I could study them on the Pc. But can not.
    That is unless I buy something to allow me to hook up my hummingbird 987 to the Pc and also power it up also
    Pete
    This will come Pete, but they gonna "milk the cow" first. Mooooooo...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    This will come Pete, but they gonna "milk the cow" first. Mooooooo...
    Tom I know its a lot of trouble. And we all gripe about stuff like this. But theres no way I would go to a boat without electronics on it again. Love the toys.
    Also I thought Steve was coming by the house yesterday. but did not hear from him. I have a jig or three for you if he does get by. If not I will just mail them to you to try out on the fish there.
    But don't tell Todd about them.:D
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast