Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Time to fish Arizona

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time to fish Arizona

Its that time a year again when our Desert Lakes really turn on for trolling suspended Crappie. And with day time temps in the 70's/ 80's, the fall/ winter is a great time to visit AZ.

My favorite lake is Roosevelt, but there are 4 other killer crappie lakes also. "Rosey" is about 90 mile east of Phoenix and has plenty of great camping areas, ramps and facilities. You can see more about Rosey at http://www.americansouthwest.net/ari...oosevelt_lake/.

On an average day of trolling (in good weather) you can catch several dozen Black Crappie each with many of them well over 1.5 lbs and a few over 2-2.5. There is a 2 pole limit but NO BAG LIMITS!

If you ever want to make the trip send me a message. I'd be happy to give you any info I can.
    Bill Eveland

Arizona Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Piscolli
    Its that time a year again when our Desert Lakes really turn on for trolling suspended Crappie. And with day time temps in the 70's/ 80's, the fall/ winter is a great time to visit AZ.

My favorite lake is Roosevelt, but there are 4 other killer crappie lakes also. "Rosey" is about 90 mile east of Phoenix and has plenty of great camping areas, ramps and facilities. You can see more about Rosey at http://www.americansouthwest.net/ari...oosevelt_lake/.

On an average day of trolling (in good weather) you can catch several dozen Black Crappie each with many of them well over 1.5 lbs and a few over 2-2.5. There is a 2 pole limit but NO BAG LIMITS!

If you ever want to make the trip send me a message. I'd be happy to give you any info I can.
    Hey Bill:

I'll be visiting family (in the desert north of Scottsdale) over Christmas and I'd like to do a little "research" while I'm out there. I'll probably have 4 or 5 family members that will want to go along and it's way too far to pull a boat (over 1,200 miles) so I would need a guide or someone with a big boat willing to take us out. Any suggestions?
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Roosevelt is great for fishin and camping, its definately one of AZs best, but if you dont mind paying the usage fees, San Carlos is the lake to go for some slabs. The first time I ever saw crappie pulled out of that lake, I didnt beleive they were crappie they were so dang big. Personally I wouldnt camp there, I would camp at Roosevelt and drive over to San Carlos for the day. Sure wishin I was there in good ole Arizona. Not that Missouri isnt great, but theres nothin like the southwest....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Bill:

I'll be visiting family (in the desert north of Scottsdale) over Christmas and I'd like to do a little "research" while I'm out there. I'll probably have 4 or 5 family members that will want to go along and it's way too far to pull a boat (over 1,200 miles) so I would need a guide or someone with a big boat willing to take us out. Any suggestions?
    Jerry, there are several guides at Rosey. Art Chamberlin of C&C is about the best. But I don't how many people he can take out at once. You may want to contact him at http://www.vsps.com/info.htm

You can always rent a pontoon at the marine and I can tell you where and what to try. Or if I'll be at the lake you can follow us around.
    Bill Eveland

Arizona Crappie Association