Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: broken tongue jack

Post Thanks / Like

Default broken tongue jack

With the big local Bass Classic coming up, I have been fishing all week with my partner trying to find the fish. Today he went up to champaign to spend time with his kid and told me to get his boat out and check a few spots out. Great fishing trip. Even got the boat loaded on the trailer by myself. Backed it into his garage no problems. So what went wrong? Well i put the jack down and tried to disengage the ball, but the tongue would not let go out the ball. tried backin up, pullin up, no movement. I would jack the boat up and the truck would be pulled up. Call up another buddy to ask him what we did last time this happened on my truck. Said just jump on the bumper a few times. So I did. Bam! The original welds on the trailer holding the jack on bust. Trailer pops right after. At least the truck was about to be freed. Put a milk crate under the tonge and set the tongue down. Shut the garage and headed home. So now I get to go to bass pro in the AM and buy a new tongue jack and install it. Are these hard installs? What tools should I bring? Thanks.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb John ...

if you're talking about one of these : http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=192
    then you won't need much in the way of tools. You can use open end wrench set, or deep socket set (I'd have both handy, just for good measure).

It's essentially a quick fix job ... you put the jack w/plate against the tongue of the trailer -- the other plate on the opposite side -- and run 4 bolts thru the holes in the plates -- cinch down the nuts until the plates start to bend. That's what I've done to three different boat trailers, and they held up and worked just fine.
    You really do want to get the ones that will disengage and swivel up alongside the trailer tongue, when trailer is being towed. You will also want to put the jack (third wheel) on the same side of the trailer tongue, as the original one was. Hopefully you won't have to grind down any weld lines that may have been left behind ... but you will want to have a smooth tongue surface, for the plates to snug against. And you will want the "new" jack to be on the same section of the trailer tongue, as the old one was. You will also need to know the dimensions of the trailer tongue, as there are different frame sizes of trailer tongues ... and corresponding trailer jack plates to fit them. Don't worry about the "weight capacity" ratings .... the lightest/cheapest ones are rated for over 500lbs.

Have you contacted the owner, and told him of the mishap ?? He may want a specific brand or style of trailer jack, for a replacement. Fulton or Atwood are two of the more popular, and widely available, brands ... but there are others. Prices range from around $20 to $50 for a bolt-on trailer jack that will swivel up alongside the trailer tongue. All the ones I used were around the $40 mark ... whether from a boat dealer, or Wally World.

I think I would take a good look at the trailer coupler ... the trailer ball should fit snug, but not to the point where it takes jumping on the bumper to free it. There may be a dent in the coupler, that could be causing the problem. IF so, that may take a little more "experienced hand" to correct.

.... luck2ya ... cp

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

just take the old one off and have it welded :D
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your misfortune, been there, done that! and it sucked all the way. bolt ons are nice in a pinch, but i think i would get the old 1 welded. A small can of WD-40 is a blessing to have on the boat.

Big
    Stinkies Daddy
    Likes prefers shiners LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Bolted one on, directions said it was weldable. Offered to pay for the welding. Buddy was not mad.

Post Thanks / Like

A little white lithium grease on the underside of the hitch and ball will work wonders.
    Likes arkcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a bolt-on for many years with no problems ever. And with a bolt-on, you can periodically check it for looseness or wear. A weld just breaks when it feels like it - no real way to check it's integrity! (JMO!) I'd also highly recommend that you do use a "ball grease" regularly. This not only prevents corrosion between ball and trailer hitch (preventing sticking), but makes for a smoother, friction free ride.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Did you have the correct size ball for the hitch? or it may just needed adjusting a little so it doesn't lock down so tight!!! EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p
    Likes vic n LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Uhhh ... the original posting member brought up this problem back in 2007 .. so I doubt any references to him will be of any use.

I'm leaving it running, so that anyone else seeing this & having the same or similar problems can glean any useful info posted.

If it continues to get replies, I may even move the entire thread over to the "mechanics" forum.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

OMG!