Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch or Buy Minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catch or Buy Minnows

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Just wondering if you catch or buy your bait. If you catch your minnows does anyone have any good tricks? Thanks and good luck fishing.:D

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried catching them with no success except for salt water gudgens. I also tried casting a net for shad but that cuts into fishing time too much. So I buy them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just buy them as needed.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy
    Live and Learn."Life's short fish Hard"

Post Thanks / Like

i can get minnows year round any size i want as much as i want...i live in a farm comunity and there is tons of creeks and irrigation canals that have water year round..most are about 2-4 foot deep andmaybe 10-15 foot wide...within in a mile of me i got bout 10 lil bridges i can throw a castnet off of or set a trap....and lots of species of minnows but majority are fatheads....i have no issues catching some for any board members that are local and want to pick them up..no charge..i have actually gotten minnnows for a couple of board members before

only issue is later in the season gets a tad harder to get the smaller ones as they have grown

many times i have caught numerous rock bass and baby smallmouths also alongwith quillback and carp on accident..

i actually just enjoy going down there and catching minnows causei get something new everytime
    Last edited by john h; 10-04-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

While fishing about three weeks ago I seen a big disturbance in the water. When I pulled up by it, it ended up being a bait ball. Every now and then I see these hundreds of bait fish circling in this one area and was thinking about taking a cast net out and catching a bunch. I have fished in and around these fish with everything but havent had any luck catching fish. The lake I fish is about 700 acres and I dont know how good the shad population is here to support the game fish.
    Last edited by SMITTY 58D; 10-04-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

ahh speaking of shad .. i have a private pond that i can get good amounts of shad out of there is always 5-6 balls boiling around on the surface

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy 'em by the lb. same as the bait shops do. They probably get a little better price but they are averaging me about $.50 per dozen and I have them any anytime I decide to go fishing.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    I buy 'em by the lb. same as the bait shops do. They probably get a little better price but they are averaging me about $.50 per dozen and I have them any anytime I decide to go fishing.
    Thats an excellent price. I wish they sold them by the lb around here.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Easier for me to buy them. My fishing partner is only 44" tall ans cant quite handle a sein yet!

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast