Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New engine report....

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New engine report....

Works fine. Can't get over how quiet it is. Got the Merc 60hp 4 stroke Bigfoot. I am pleased. Pushed boat right at 40mph (gps) with me and no equipment. Ran about 35 mph with boat loaded with equipment and me and Honey. Not bad. Plenty of power on hole shot, but can't use much trim before it porposes. I think this is inherent with flat bottom boats. Moved trolling motor battery to front hold, but did not help any with the porposing that I could tell. Good gas milage too. Ran from West Sandy to Paris Landing and back and still had gas left. This is a first...lol
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Conrats on the new motor Tom. Do they have a break in period like the 2 strokes? Often wondered about that.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not really

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Conrats on the new motor Tom. Do they have a break in period like the 2 strokes? Often wondered about that.
    Mechanic said bring it back in 20 hours for oil change (break in). Told me to drive it like a new car...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Cane pole the motor does have a thing where they can hook it to a PC and it will show how its been run. So watch out running it Wide open until after the 20 hour break in.
    Also good luck with the new motor. I know I'm enjoying the 4-stroke Suzuki. And should have to take it backup your way for the oil change before the end of march.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

congrats on the motor.I'm going to have mine out for it's first trip on Saturday if the weather cooperates. I went for a Yamaha 50hp 4 stroke on a 17' jon boat. congrats.

-lee-

Post Thanks / Like

Default Break in

The Merc 4 stroke I had only required a 2 hour break in. 1st hour no full throttle, and the 2nd hour various throttle settings including full, but not continuious full throttle. Sounds like you got a great motor there and I believe Merc has a promotion now for a 5 year warranty. Can't beat that! The Merc 60 four stroke is on the heavy side compared to your old 2 stroke so you may need to make other weight adjustments also to get the boat trimmed properly. On my present boat I went from a Merc 50HP 2 stroke to a Honda 50HP four stroke. The Honda 50 was the lightest 4 stroke in 50HP. Exact same weight as the Merc 2 stroke I replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Default break in time

The mechanics did not tell me anything about break-in. Just said bring it back in 20 hours for oil change. Nothing in owner manual about it either. I opened it up a couple of times, but ran most of time about 4000rpm crusing around. I think I passed the 2 hour mark, will check hour meter this weekend. I liked they Yamaha but could not get it in 60hp. I liked the Suzis too, but went for the best deal. Dotties Marine beat everyone by 500 bucks on the pricing.

Saw a 275 hp Merc 4 stroke at the boat show. Engine looks like Darth Vader. Bout $22,500.00 for the engine. Twice the price of my house...lol

Post Thanks / Like

The oil change is most likely for the lower unit, right? My 40's break-in was similiar to shellbacks but I couldn't run it wide open for 10 hrs. You might speak to the dealer during the oil change, about the trim and a motor angle adjustment. I have a 16 ft allweld and it doesn't bounce until the motor is too far up. But its a 2 cycle, fuel injected, and a lot lighter than your 4-stroke.
    Lee --could choice. thanks and tight lines to all; beaux

Post Thanks / Like

Bet it was a Verodo.. Those motors are turbo charged or something like that,. one motor is more then I gave for my boat and motor.
    Dottie's has some good prices. I know they beat beach lake around $1500. on my Suzuki 140.
    Also having the new motor you can take all that extra gas money and buy more fishing stuff with it..LOL
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Check the manual it may tell specifics on break in. Congratulations on the new toy.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast