Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you say these are fish?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you say these are fish?

??
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe so. Now, the little (small) blued in arches all around probably are. And I'd even say the lowest large arch right above and right of the hard bottom object most likely is, too. IMO, the three "taller" arches though aren't fish. Your little detail box is kind of right in the way (LOL), but fish don't typically arch (trailing) all the way to the bottom like these 3 signals do, especially that uniform. Another clue is the hardness (heavy yellow coloring) of the last two arches. They're so reflective you get a little double echo patch of pinkish red straight underneath each arch down toward the bottom (twice the depth of original). Fish don't do that.

It looks very much like something cabled down there. I've had similar type "arches" when idling through marina areas where they have cables running at angles out toward the bottom of the lake holding docks and piers in place. Buoy cables could also do that. Anything similar but solid would have more effect on the overall reading, things like pillars or bridge pilings. So I can't say for sure what they are, but my opinion is that they (the 3 trailing arches) are not fish.

-T9

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here it is without the data. This lake has a lot of aerators in it that are tied together so maybe its one of the cables going to them?

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Here it is without the data. This lake has a lot of aerators in it that are tied together so maybe its one of the cables going to them?
    That sounds like a pretty strong possibility. Hard to say for sure with out actually being there. Looking without the box I'd say all 4 large arches may be "non-fish" markings. Wouldn't surprise me if the large yellow solid bottom object wasn't some kind of anchor for some of those cables.

A couple things come to mind that you could do to verify. If you can go back to the lake and try and run that same path (or very similar) and see if things graph the same again. Fish would have obviously moved position but cables wouldn't. Another would be to drop a jig to the bottom and slow troll through the area. If they are cables, you'll hook one or at least feel your line/jig dragging over the cable.

I just remembered another similar thing I've graphed before. Again a series of cables running parallel to the surface but well underwater so as to not obstruct boating or be a safety hazard. They were the support for lane markers for a rowing course that stretched for half a mile. You could idle over these and get very similar readings to what you've shown (long, trailing arches). If I ever get back to that lake this Fall I'll record and post those cable shots.

-T9
    Last edited by Team9nine; 10-01-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

The large arches are probably from the pipe that connects the aerators. It was about 10 feet deep. The blue spots below the surface clutter are probably fish. I see those often when I'm in a school of shad at Kerr.

I see you figured out how to post screen captures from the SONAR log. The log comes in handy for study after you get back home. I usually see many things I missed while on the water.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan_VA
    Bill,

The large arches are probably from the pipe that connects the aerators. It was about 10 feet deep. The blue spots below the surface clutter are probably fish. I see those often when I'm in a school of shad at Kerr.

I see you figured out how to post screen captures from the SONAR log. The log comes in handy for study after you get back home. I usually see many things I missed while on the water.
    Yeah, that is really neat to be able to record everything and then look at it at your convenience. Thats the main reason I haven't got a Hbird 997.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Yeah, that is really neat to be able to record everything and then look at it at your convenience. Thats the main reason I haven't got a Hbird 997.
    Me too, but it is a tough trade study to evaluate.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Was I nearby at the time? I see some interference from another DF on the very left side of your screen capture.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan_VA
    Was I nearby at the time? I see some interference from another DF on the very left side of your screen capture.
    My X102C was on too. Might be from that.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

What depth finder was these images taken from?
    Thanks
    sethook

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast