Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colors for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colors for crappie

I sure have to keep an open mind about what colors are good on what days. Last Tuesday we went out for about 3 hrs and solid blue Slater jigs were the best by far. Thursday I went back and fishing in the same places it was the pits. A couple were fishing in the same general area I was, in talking distance, and were catching plenty, not all keepers. We had about the same line out as far as I could tell. Of course we talked, the lady was a taker, and they were catching on Panfish Assassin 1 1/2" Tiny Shad in Texas Avacodo and Electric Chicken, I had none. She gave me one of the T A colors and I started to catch some, put some tubes with black and did OK but they were still outfishing me. May have been something else but the color and shape difference may have been it. Thoughts on color?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Steve ....

my thoughts on color are :

sometimes it don't much matter ... as I've seen Crappie caught on some of the most downright ugly color patterns, the most ridiculous color combinations, the most natural looking and beautiful creations, and all points in between. (and all in the same day, and on the same lake )

the rest of the time ... you can't have enough different colors, shapes, or sizes :p to insure that you will have what they want at that time

that's why I carry 3 tackleboxes full of artificial offerings :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    I had none. She gave me one of the T A colors and I started to catch some, put some tubes with black and did OK but they were still outfishing me. May have been something else but the color and shape difference may have been it. Thoughts on color?
    That's the good thing about crappie fishing. People are willing to share there knowledge and bait/lures. I was fishing a few years ago and I had not done much crappie fishing at that time and I hadn't caught anything on minnows. A couple of guys came by, we talked, and long story short, they gave me some jig heads, a pack of plastic jigs, told me how to fish them, and told me three or four places to try. Each place I tried produced well and I caught one of my best crappie that day, if it were not my best.

As far as colors you are right. It can change, even in the same day. I don't day fish much, but I normally use black/chart. or chart.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep boxes full of every color I can get in the four style baits I mainly fish for trolling and spiderrigging. Then I keep a bag full of hand tied flies for shooting docks. I get most of my plastics fromwww.thecrappieshop.com Steve has the most colors of each bait. Keep in mind speed and jighead size could have come into play also.

Post Thanks / Like

SteveJ, CrappieWorld magazine usually has several real good stories about color & crappie. I've got every issue from back many years ago, and went thumbing through them to find some of the articles regarding your post. I think you can call and get them to send you a certain issue from the archives, as I've done this before for one I've misplaced. Anyway, there's a good article in the Fall/2004 issue, and another in the Oct/Nov/Dec/2006 issue. One even elaborates on what the "experts" who've done underwater studies say about how far (in feet) a crappie can see in clear vs. stained vs. muddy water (compared to humans) ........pretty interesting stuff. I didn't go through all of them, but I'm sure theres more articles in some of the older issues. Hope this helps
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much only use tubes and I most always start with chartreuse, then if that's not working, I'll start changing colors. Since I usually work two rods: 1 cast & retrieve, the other tight lining, I'll rig each with a different color or combination of colors. give it about 10 minutes (different presentations) to see if there are any takers, then I'll change colors again - until I've either run out of colors to try, to I start getting fish. When I run out of colors to try, I start all over again with chart. Like crappiepappy said, it's not uncommon to have them change what they want on the same day on the same lake. eventually I catch up to what they're looking for and put some in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Went back this morning and got 19 keepers, it was over by 9 AM. Started out with the Texas Avacodo and was getting nothing, I use 4 rods, tightlining. Had a homemade Electric Chicken on and it was getting bite pretty good so I went with 3 rods and 1 with a red/chart tube which was good also. Bluebird day with not wind, temp dropped to 78 degrees. This are some homemade colors as all I had were the solid colors. Worked great. Top 2 are the clear chartruse with red and green added and the other is yellow with blk added.

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I say sometimes it will made a difference and sometime it may not. The only way to find out is have different colors to make sure you have something to change to if the color you choose is not working.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Size and speed are just as important as color.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont switch colors right away. I will switch sizes. If I am using a 1.5" tube and the bite stops I will always go a size down 1". Which usually starts catching fish again.I like to switch sizes on jigs which also makes it have a slower fall. When that fails time to switch colors and experiment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast