Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: World record fish?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default World record fish?

Who is "the" authority for record fish? It appears to be that if you don't like one listing, you can go to another and its different. For instance, the latest Crappie World mag says the world record Crappie is the 6 pounder caught in La. But if you go here http://hotspotfishing.com/records/records-Louisiana.asp it says the state record is 3lb 8oz. BIG difference! I know the La fishermen were discussing this last week or so and it has a lot to do with record keeping. But still, it seems like there should be one place that says "This is the record". I guess I'll just have to catch an 8 pounder and settle it once and for all! LOL Well I'll keep trying anyway.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i noticed that too.some places say the world record is 4.5lbs others 4.9lbs and others 6.
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Sniper Lures Custom Baits
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink kinda reminds you ...

of professional Boxing .. don't it ?? :D

Myself - I go with the organization that has the most stringent rules. That way I know if the record is set or broken, it was done under the highest scrutiny. And that would be the IGFA (IMHO).

I think the "recognized" World Record Crappie is 5lb 3oz ... the 6lb La. fish was not "registered" thru any "official" agency. And therein lies the problem. You have to get membership, then pay for the "recording" of your fish, and have "official" documentation of the catch, etc. Some people just don't want to go thru all that. .............cp

here's the IGFA link with the "freswater rod/reel records" - http://www.fishersnet.com/records.html

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats an interesting site but I wish they had included where they were caught.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation White Crappie World Record ...

was caught from Enid Reservoir, Mississippi 7/31/1957 by Fred Bright ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    of professional Boxing .. don't it ?? :D

Myself - I go with the organization that has the most stringent rules. That way I know if the record is set or broken, it was done under the highest scrutiny. And that would be the IGFA (IMHO).

I think the "recognized" World Record Crappie is 5lb 3oz ... the 6lb La. fish was not "registered" thru any "official" agency. And therein lies the problem. You have to get membership, then pay for the "recording" of your fish, and have "official" documentation of the catch, etc. Some people just don't want to go thru all that. .............cp

here's the IGFA link with the "freswater rod/reel records" - http://www.fishersnet.com/records.html
    crappiepappy nailed it. Wasn't registered, weighed and measured through LDWF at that time, and was dropped from the "official" roster of records when it was made necessary that all record fish be certified for recognition. The current status for state record crappie in LA is tied between Caney Lake and Toledo Bend at 3.55 lbs each. Strange that they left the stats for the 6 lb crappie on record since it's no longer recognized? Ain't politics fun? Wouldn't surprise me if the fisherman was one of ole' Ex Governor Long's drinking buddies! :D

Post Thanks / Like

yeah you guys are looking at two diffrent species the world record black and the world record White.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

The world record crappie did come from Enid Lake MS in 1957. Five pounds three ounces caught by Fred Bright of Memphis TN. Mississippi Game and Fish did some testing over a three day period in 2004 at Arkabutla Lake and knocked up three during that period of time that bested the world record. Of course, they had to turn them loose. They eat 3.55 pound crappie at Arkabutla, they don't mount them.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cfsinc
    They eat 3.55 pound crappie at Arkabutla, they don't mount them.

Must be nice. I'm having my little 3.6 pounder mounted. It is MY world record.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Smitty....that's a great fish regardless of what state it came from, even Mississippi!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast