PDA

View Full Version : World record fish?

Barnacle Bill
02-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Who is "the" authority for record fish? It appears to be that if you don't like one listing, you can go to another and its different. For instance, the latest Crappie World mag says the world record Crappie is the 6 pounder caught in La. But if you go here http://hotspotfishing.com/records/records-Louisiana.asp it says the state record is 3lb 8oz. BIG difference! I know the La fishermen were discussing this last week or so and it has a lot to do with record keeping. But still, it seems like there should be one place that says "This is the record". I guess I'll just have to catch an 8 pounder and settle it once and for all! LOL Well I'll keep trying anyway.

Bassman
02-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah i noticed that too.some places say the world record is 4.5lbs others 4.9lbs and others 6.

CrappiePappy
02-27-2005, 03:10 PM
of professional Boxing .. don't it ?? :D

Myself - I go with the organization that has the most stringent rules. That way I know if the record is set or broken, it was done under the highest scrutiny. And that would be the IGFA (IMHO).

I think the "recognized" World Record Crappie is 5lb 3oz ... the 6lb La. fish was not "registered" thru any "official" agency. And therein lies the problem. You have to get membership, then pay for the "recording" of your fish, and have "official" documentation of the catch, etc. Some people just don't want to go thru all that. .............cp :cool:

here's the IGFA link with the "freswater rod/reel records" - http://www.fishersnet.com/records.html

Barnacle Bill
02-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Thats an interesting site but I wish they had included where they were caught.

CrappiePappy
02-27-2005, 04:43 PM
was caught from Enid Reservoir, Mississippi 7/31/1957 by Fred Bright ..... cp

labill
02-27-2005, 04:51 PM
of professional Boxing .. don't it ?? :D

Myself - I go with the organization that has the most stringent rules. That way I know if the record is set or broken, it was done under the highest scrutiny. And that would be the IGFA (IMHO).

I think the "recognized" World Record Crappie is 5lb 3oz ... the 6lb La. fish was not "registered" thru any "official" agency. And therein lies the problem. You have to get membership, then pay for the "recording" of your fish, and have "official" documentation of the catch, etc. Some people just don't want to go thru all that. .............cp :cool:

here's the IGFA link with the "freswater rod/reel records" - http://www.fishersnet.com/records.html

crappiepappy nailed it. Wasn't registered, weighed and measured through LDWF at that time, and was dropped from the "official" roster of records when it was made necessary that all record fish be certified for recognition. The current status for state record crappie in LA is tied between Caney Lake and Toledo Bend at 3.55 lbs each. Strange that they left the stats for the 6 lb crappie on record since it's no longer recognized? Ain't politics fun? Wouldn't surprise me if the fisherman was one of ole' Ex Governor Long's drinking buddies! :D

Kokanee King
02-27-2005, 08:48 PM
yeah you guys are looking at two diffrent species the world record black and the world record White.

cfsinc
02-27-2005, 10:53 PM
The world record crappie did come from Enid Lake MS in 1957. Five pounds three ounces caught by Fred Bright of Memphis TN. Mississippi Game and Fish did some testing over a three day period in 2004 at Arkabutla Lake and knocked up three during that period of time that bested the world record. Of course, they had to turn them loose. They eat 3.55 pound crappie at Arkabutla, they don't mount them.

FalconSmitty
02-27-2005, 11:55 PM
They eat 3.55 pound crappie at Arkabutla, they don't mount them.

Must be nice. I'm having my little 3.6 pounder mounted. It is MY world record. ;)

labill
02-28-2005, 12:43 AM
Hey, Smitty....that's a great fish regardless of what state it came from, even Mississippi!

CrappiePappy
02-28-2005, 02:48 AM
an actual "listing" for the World Record "Black" Crappie, is hard to find. Another problem is, some states don't distinguish between the two species. Discounting the 6lb Louisiana fish ... the biggest "record" Black Crappie I've been able to find, are the state records for South Carolina and Minnesota ... at 5lbs even for each state.

Another problem I've run across, when looking for information on the web, is that a lot of "old" info is still out there ... and articles, webpages, and other information sites DON'T have a "date" on them. So, it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between "old" info and "current" info. This can sometimes lead to misinformation. Case in point - the "All Tackle" world record for Black Crappie is listed as a 4.5lb fish, taken in Va. in 1981. Now, as I understand it, "all tackle" refers to no limit on line size ... so that fish could have been caught on 2lb line or 50lb line :eek: --- My problem with that record is obvious ... two other fish, from two other states, weighing 1/2lb MORE are "registered" State Records. It would appear, from this info, that the two 5lb fish were only registered at the State level ... and never entered in the "World Class" level. And since the Va. record is from 1981, and the Minn. record is from 1940, and the S.C. record is from 1957 .... and the IGFA started around 1939 or 1940 -- it would seem that was the case.
And, of course, like "world record fish" of some other species ... there is no way to determine how many were caught & released or eaten, that would break the currently held "records" of ANY State or World organization. Only those fish that are "registered" thru the proper channels, are considered "record fish". ...............cp :cool:

Ranger520SVX
10-25-2005, 03:09 AM
I would mount that too.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pomoxis 2
10-25-2005, 10:21 PM
when looking for information on the web, .... a lot of "old" info is still out there ... and articles, webpages, and other information sites DON'T have a "date" on them..... a 4.5lb fish, taken in Va. in 1981 ... two other fish, from two other states, weighing 1/2lb MORE are "registered" State Records.... there is no way to determine how many were caught & released or eaten.......
Crappiepappy,
You seem to have done some research or something. I have recently downloaded the list of state records from crappieunlimited.com

http://www.crappieunlimited.com/state_records.htm

I started to do some informal statistical analysis of the info just for my own enterntainment.
Of course I noticed some discrepancies in the info - stuff I recently heard elsewhere:The NJ White Crappie record is 2lb 11oz broken very recently, etc, etc.
I might post interesting findings soon, such as: "Whites hold more top state record size positions than Blacks." That came as a surprise to me.
Also: Connecticut and Rhode Island have no listing at all? NJ has a 4lb 8oz Black and those states are only 1-3 hour drive from here. Do CT & RI even care what they have, or do Crappie not even exist there? So what if they have only 2 lb max Crappie? Get the info into the scientific community! We are not prejudice! CT already has the highest average income level in the world :eek: , and I'm sure RI has the biggest Right Whale record! :D
But obviously the problem arises: Where do I get the most accurate data?
If you have any links handy that I can refer to for info, I would really appreciate it! :cool:
I'm especially interested in the Louisiana stories. 6lb?!? I will use any sources in my analysis that convince ME. I will not base my entertainment on the IGFA :cool:
Thanks pappy or anyone!

CrappiePappy
10-26-2005, 07:20 AM
The KY state record was broken in May of this year ........ most sites list it at 4lbs 6oz -- but, the KDFWR site has the latest listing : 4lbs 14oz ( http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/recordfish.asp?lid=555&NavPath=C101C204 )

CT either doesn't have any Crappie, or they don't recognize it as a Sport Fish ...LOL!! According to this site - http://www.aa-fishing.com/ct/connecticut-crappie-fishing.html - there's no available info.

Now RI, on the other hand, does list a State Record Black Crappie - http://www.fintalk.com/states/ri/records.html

And New Hampshire lists this -
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/NH_state_record_fish.htm

I don't think the Louisiana 6lb Crappie was very well documented ... so, most www references to it, are from third party hearsay. (See LaBill's post, in this thread).

IGFA generally states "records", according to line test measurements ... and they're more concerned with "World" records. State records info can probably be found by going to each state's DNR or Fish/Game site ... or contacting them for the latest updated records.

As in the case of the above links, I use GOOGLE to pull up info on the state & world record Crappie listings. But. as I stated before, without a "date" on the site or article ... it's hard to determine whose info is the "latest" or most accurate. And, occasionally, things "happen" and the records are broken or dismissed (or documentation is faulty).

One other thing that skews the whole thing, is that some states don't have both species (B/W) of Crappie - some lump them both into one catagory - and some may not even have Crappie in their waters (only 48 states list a Black Crappie record -- http://landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=12 .... and 28 states list a White Crappie record -- http://landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=13 ... at least, on "this" site)
............. luck2ya ....cp :cool:

Pomoxis 2
10-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks Crappiepappy!
Believe me, I understand how much trouble it can be to post info like you did. I really, really appreciate it. I will let all know if I find any interesting anomalies in the data.
Apparently there are Crappie in every one of the "lower 48". :D That is something!
I know, Connecticut is not listed, but I have been there and I will bet my life there are a bunch of Crappie there. That gives me an idea, I am going there sometime to prove it to myself and all the other Crappie enthusiasts and especially the Conn state govt. WHAT ARE THEY DOING UP THERE? Hey, even if I only get an 11 incher, they would be obligated to list me as the record holder, wouldn't they? :cool: First I will try to look on the Conn website.

Mo'nBack
10-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Apparently there are Crappie in every one of the "lower 48". :D That is something!
I know, Connecticut is not listed, but I have been there and I will bet my life there are a bunch of Crappie there. That gives me an idea, I am going there sometime to prove it to myself and all the other Crappie enthusiasts and especially the Conn state govt. WHAT ARE THEY DOING UP THERE? Hey, even if I only get an 11 incher, they would be obligated to list me as the record holder, wouldn't they?

Stayed in Conn once with some friends. Even though I didn't get a chance to fish, the man was from there and he said that they would catch crappie on occasion in a pond close by his house. They had to come from somewhere and one of them bound to have been bigger than the others!! :D

Pomoxis 2
10-26-2005, 02:56 PM
OK, I got the info!
This website list shows all record fish for Connecticut. However, Crappie are not listed, but Calico Bass are!!! That was bound to happen and I should have checked that before.
The record is 4lb 0oz. I guess I will not be setting the Conn record anytime soon. :rolleyes:
I am going to assume that it is a Black Crappie. The Conn DEP website shows Blacks there but makes no mention of Whites.
http://landbigfish.com/staterecords/records.cfm?state=Connecticut
At least now MY list is complete! :cool:

CrappiePappy
10-26-2005, 05:00 PM
now that figures .... LOL!! Calico Bass, huh? Just add "using regional nicknames", to the list of confusing base info :rolleyes: .... LOL!!
I should have known there was some "slack" in the information about CT crappie ...... several other state sites referred to catching crappie from the Conneticut River :eek: ......... !!

You still have the chance to obtain a CT state record .... you'd just have to catch a legal sized White Crappie, from somewhere in the state. :p

What's really interesting, to me, is that White Crappie are supposed to like "warmer" & murkier water, than Black Crappie ... which prefer "cooler" & clearer water --- yet, Florida has no White Crappie record. I guess the clear & warm waters are more conducive to Black Crappie, so long as the vegetation is present. (Veg=shade=cooler water temps=Black Crappie habitat ... perhaps ??)
According to the following site ... White Crappie exist in Fla, but only in two rivers in the "panhandle" section of the state ... http://www.floridamarine.org/support/view_faqs.asp?id=26
Now, there's a "record" waiting to be had !! The article also refers to Blacknose Crappie ... and gives answers to some FAQ's about them.

Luck2ya ....... on your quest ...........cp :cool:

FalconSmitty
10-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Pappy. Pox>>> Montana list a 6lb black as a record...
http://www.aa-fishing.com/gfx/black-crappie-149.gif

CrappiePappy
10-27-2005, 05:10 AM
the latest listing, that I'm aware of, is March 2005 .... and lists the Montana State Record Black Crappie at 3.13lbs -- http://fwp.state.mt.us/fishing/fishingmontana/fishrecords.html ...cp :cool:

Pomoxis 2
10-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Montana list a 6lb black as a record...

FS,
Where did you get that info?

I was going to point out some interesting things in the records, like "can you believe XX state has a 4 lb 10 oz record Black?" But the thing that strikes me so far is how UNIFORM the size of the big ones are from so many different environments!
I would like to get some info on big fish that were documented, but not caught sportfishing, like fish found by netting or electroshocking during surveys. I get the feeling those wouldn't be much bigger than the fishing records.

drill instructor
10-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Does anyone have pictures of the 6lb crappie?

dsacalaitman
10-27-2005, 07:00 PM
o.k fellers i live 5 min from that said 6#sacalait wwas caught it was a six year old girl that caught that fish on shinners under a cork in the old westwego air plane canal " legend " states that they had taken to wild lifefishreis and weighed and then eaten i know it was a black crappie that area is full of black crappie i never caught a white crappie there
:rolleyes:

FalconSmitty
10-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Pappy. Pox>>> Montana list a 6lb black as a record...
http://www.aa-fishing.com/gfx/black-crappie-149.gif

I must have been drunk...sad thing I don't drink so I have no excuse.lol

sorry but I looked at the world record on the montana page.. Pappy has the right weight... I still think I was having a flashback drunk or something..

Pomoxis 2
10-28-2005, 01:01 AM
ABSOLUTELY EXCUSED!
Remember that I am also a defective human. I am capable of technical errors! 'I AM THE CREATOR!'.
ERROR!
ERROR!
ERROR!
DESTROY!
DESTROY!
DESTROY!
I once cast for a crappie and didn't land him!
'DESTROY!'

I gotta go to bed. See ya tomorrow.

JDavid
03-19-2009, 03:54 PM
FS,
Where did you get that info?

I was going to point out some interesting things in the records, like "can you believe XX state has a 4 lb 10 oz record Black?" But the thing that strikes me so far is how UNIFORM the size of the big ones are from so many different environments!
I would like to get some info on big fish that were documented, but not caught sportfishing, like fish found by netting or electroshocking during surveys. I get the feeling those wouldn't be much bigger than the fishing records.

My dad knows a local commercial catfisherman and he said that in the course of running his hoop nets he had released (as per Alabama law) a 5.6 lbs crappie (weighed on scales) and had netted one other that he thought would go close to 6 lbs. ......there are some monster sized fish in the waters that very few people ever see. My personal best to date is 3lbs 5 ounces- but, I had one on that would have went 4+ lbs about 4 feet from the net when he got off. To continue in the spirit of "fours" I instantly said 4 cuss words! :) . And no, I do not fish the “crappie capital of the world" (Weiss).

JDavid
03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Every year I hook into one or two crappie I can't get to the surface (though not from lack of trying, I put as much grunt into the rod as I thought a crappies mouth could stand)- and yes I am confident they were crappie, even though I never saw them. They have a distinct "herky jerky" way of fighting the hook, different from gar, bass, cats, bowfin (grinnel), carp, bream, or any other species that hooked but forgot to mention. So they were EXTREMELY fiesty two pounders, or 4+ lbs whopper crappie.

redear
03-19-2009, 04:44 PM
how about carl herring's 4 lb. 8 oz. black crappie from eastland creek, on kerr lake va. 1983 6 lb. test line I think it is still a line class record.

Doodlum
03-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Bill, hope you get one.
IGFA is responsible for the up keep of "World Records". You can obtain the information and listings of fresh and salt water record on their web site.
There are a lot of stipulations and rules that need to be followed when applying for a world record. Have applied for several in the past and have friends who hold world records in line class's.
All tackle world records are straight forward. Largest weight of that specie holds the record. Some rules.
There are many line classes that you can catch a world record in. Some line categories are vacant.
Some of the basic rules/things to remember if you do think you have a line weight catch . Only the angler that hooks the fish by standard fishing/tackle
can touch the rod. There are tippet lengths that have to be adhered to. Most important you need to have a clear picture of the fish, angler, tackle, that it was caught on, maybe the weight of the fish showing on the weight scale also, all in one picture. Save the whole fish.
Save the tippet/line the fish was caught on. Must have a catch/weight witness. They will do a breaking test on it.
I haven't fooled around trying to break world records in line class lately but it's not do difficult to do. Go into the IGFA records and pick a line class that you want to try to break and go for it. I do suggest you become familiar with the rules first.

jimfish
03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
The world record crappie did come from Enid Lake MS in 1957. Five pounds three ounces caught by Fred Bright of Memphis TN. Mississippi Game and Fish did some testing over a three day period in 2004 at Arkabutla Lake and knocked up three during that period of time that bested the world record. Of course, they had to turn them loose. They eat 3.55 pound crappie at Arkabutla, they don't mount them. They taste pretty good.

Cane Pole
03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
They taste pretty good.

:):)
I will never understand why anybody would wanna stuff a crappie supper and hang it on a wall???

JDavid
03-19-2009, 07:51 PM
:):)
I will never understand why anybody would wanna stuff a crappie supper and hang it on a wall???

I hear ya cane pole- I have one 3+ pounder on the wall (we caught a couple of dozen 1.5 pounders that same day so we had a mess of eatin fish regardless). The only way that any fish less than four pounds ends up on my wall will be if someone nails a hot plate to it (the wall) with a skillet full of sizziling grease! ;)

It will be hard to not get a 4 pounder mounted though- of course there is always a replica mount- you can have your fish cake and eat it to!!!

crappie12
03-19-2009, 09:28 PM
I believe as stated above, you have to go through the IGFA, they record both saltwater and freshwater world records and require lots of paperwork.

treedawg20
03-20-2009, 04:25 AM
Yall think all the paperwork might cause some record fish to not ever get certified?

CrappiePappy
03-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Yall think all the paperwork might cause some record fish to not ever get certified?

The paperwork is just part of the overall proceedure that must be followed.

You also need to know that :
"An application fee of $40 U.S. for members and $65 U.S. for non-members is required for each claim". (copied from IGFA rules) I believe that is in addition to the minimum "regular" membership fee of $40 (adults).

Read thru these rules : http://www.igfa.org/BookRule2004.pdf to get a clearer picture of what all is necessary to do to qualify for a World Record.

... cp :cool:

crappie12
03-20-2009, 10:21 AM
My brother-in-law holds the world record for the Blueline Tilefish. My husband was with him when he caught it. It took them approximately 6 hours to get everything completed, have to have an IGFA representative present to help fill out the paperwork. Not saying it's not worth it and can't be done, just letting ya know it is a long and tedious procedure.

Fatman
03-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm with CP, the IGFA with all the requirements they have it's great

Fatman

AlexWilcox
07-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Does anybody know what the previous black crappie world record was previous to the John Horstman fish?

joneugene
07-18-2009, 09:46 AM
The 6lb one from LA is listed here Louisiana Outdoor Writers Association - Home (http://www.laoutdoorwriters.com) it is lissted as Crappie, Mixed (aka Sac-A-Lait) there is also a listing for white crappie and black crappie it was caught in 1969 back then there were only sac-a-lait no white are black crappie seperation.

Fatman
07-18-2009, 10:32 AM
My bet would be on the IGFA, you just follow their policies about weighing etc and it is or isnt'.

Fatman