Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default New To Crappie

New to forum and to Crappie fishing.

Just bought a14' Jon boat with trolland outboard and purchased a new hummingbird finder.

Going with my boy to Lake Bisteneau and want to know the "basics" of crappie fishing.

Any help or suggestions.

I don't even know the proper "line" setup or what that of gear.

God Bless
    JohnS

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Johns! Welcome aboard!
    The basic set-up would be an ultralight rod and reel lined with 4-6 pound monofiliment, a bucket of small minnows, a 1/0 hook, small split shot and a bobber.
    Look for brush, trees in the water or concrete structures and you should find some crappie.
    Good luck!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Johns. I agree with JT, except I would use a #2 aberdeen hook. That's just my personal preference. As you get into crappie fishing more and read about some of the different styles of fishing, you may want to try other things like trolling, night fishing, jigging, etc. The ultralight would be a good starting point, but I wouldn't go all out, until you decide what type of fishing suites you best. Good luck.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-27-2007 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Throwing a jig can be a lot of fun. Here's one of my favorite color combo's for fall fishing.

A 1/16oz jig head is very common while some like 1/32 or 1/8. You can experiment with different colors until you find what the crappie on your body of water prefer. Here's one of my collections of jigs.

I like fishing with minnows as well but play around with jigs while I'm using them.

What state are you fishing in? If you go to that states forum you can get a lot of good local info on what the crappie in your area like.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Crappie Guide
    The basic set-up would be an ultralight rod and reel lined with 4-6 pound monofiliment, a bucket of small minnows, a 1/0 hook, small split shot and a bobber.
    I agree, but I would substitute a 1/32 oz chartreuse marabou jig for the minnow, and I wouldn't use a bobber. Just cast it out, count it down, and bring it back slowly.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 09-27-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies.

With my new Humminbird am I looking for "holes" per say this time of year and when you use a bobber with split shot does it matter how far from the hook the shot is and do u use a 'leader".

Pretty dumb huh?

Johns

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 13234 From Toledo Bend Texas!

I make hand tied crappie jigs and if I can help you let me know. I also have to How To info on my site and this site has some great info in the articles you can find the link at the top of this page. Mine just click the link below.

Good Luck and if I can help let me know.

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

No question is a dumb question. what I do is put a small shot a hands width up from the hook and a little larger one a hands width from that one. I use mainly slip bobbers with a bobber stop to be able to change my depths alot quicker. don't normally use a leader unless fishig for saugeyes or some form of pike. the hooks I've been using are long shank cricket hooks #6. my cousin Darryl Morris turned me on to them last year and have had pretty good sucess with them and if they get hung up on brush the hook will normally straighten out without breaking off. good luck and good fishing.

welcome aboard Johns there are alot of very helpful people on this web site you'll get hooked if you stick around.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

johns, go to the Louisiana page and post. you should get some good help there.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome from NE Georgia!

Go soak some minnows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast