Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It is going to happen soon..........sad.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It is going to happen soon..........sad.

I bought a new spinning rod/reel this weekend. Soon I have to.........have to...um......well...........you know.............................................. ................................................

Okay, I am just going to say it. I have to (quick like a bandaid) "put line on it"!

There I said it. I not scared anymore. I can and will, put line on that spinning reel! I am a MAN!

Dayton

Man, who am I kidding? That is going to be another twisted up pile of crap.

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Twist

RUN THE LINE FROM THE SPOOL THROUGH THE GUIDES AND LAY THE LINE SPOOL FLAT ON THE THE FLOOR WITH THE LABEL UP AND WIND THE REEL TO WITHIN 1/8 INCH OF FULL. MAKE SURE THE LABEL IS UP! YOU SHOULD HAVE NO TWIST! BY FOLLOWING THIS PROCEDURE, YOU PUT TWIST IN THE LINE AS IT COMES OFF THE SPOOL AND THE REEL UN-TWISTS AN EQUAL AMOUNT.

MONK http://MONKSCRAPPIE.COM

Post Thanks / Like

After I spool up with new line, I like to let the line out behind the boat with nothing attached to it and drag it through the water for a few minutes. Takes the twist and the stretch out. I think it makes it lay better on the spool.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Ranger ....

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690
    I bought a new spinning rod/reel this weekend. Soon I have to.........have to...um......well...........you know.............................................. ................................................
    Okay, I am just going to say it. I have to (quick like a bandaid) "put line on it"!
    There I said it. I not scared anymore. I can and will, put line on that spinning reel! I am a MAN!
    Dayton
    Man, who am I kidding? That is going to be another twisted up pile of crap.
    you can't totally avoid twisted line, when using a spinning reel ... but, you can limit it.
    Use as small a line as possible, especially on UL reels or those with small diameter line spools.
    Don't overfill the reel ... leave 1/8" of space between outer layer of line and spool lip/rim.
    Apply pressure to line, as you reel it onto the spinning reel, by holding rod with last three fingers (in front of rod handle) and use pointer finger and thumb to apply pressure. Start with line filler spool facing up (label side) and lying on floor .... turn handle about 10-15times, then drop rod towards filler spool -- if line twists into curls/knots, flip filler spool over and continue to reel the line on. Otherwise, if the line shows no more of a spiral effect than when you started, leave filler spool as is and continue to fill reel.

Just "fishing" with the outfit will cause twist ... so, every so often, remove everything from the line and drag the top 1/3 of the line behind the boat, going at idle speed, for several minutes ... then reel the line back up, and replace bait/hardware/etc. This can also be done in a grassy yard, by walking off the empty line, then reeling it back on.

Also, and especially if using the outfit to cast with, ALWAYS make sure that you don't close the bail on loose line hanging off the reel ... pull back/up on the rod, to put tension on the line, as you close the bail !! That will help keep the line taught on the spool, avoid having the line get underneath the spool or wrapped around the outside of the spool, avoid having tight line wrapped over loose line on your spool (and causing birdnests on followup casts), and other such maladies that ruin your fun (I'm talking from experience here ) Also something to be aware of, especially if/when casting ... the bait will spin in the air, as it's being cast, on occasion (OK - more often than not ... LOL) ... so, if you cast alot, you're going to create twisted line alot more often than with other methods. Just remember to do the "untwisting" methods, as described above, every so often ... and you will reduce the effects, and your line will last longer. Twisted line, and loose line that's overwrapped with tight line (which can create kinks in the line, as well as birdnests and knot wads), can cause another ... more costly problem ... that being the loss of a "favored bait" or "fish of a lifetime" when the line breaks (on the cast, on the hookset, or while bringing the fish to the boat/net).

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Use hot water!

Quote Originally Posted by monkscrappie
    RUN THE LINE FROM THE SPOOL THROUGH THE GUIDES AND LAY THE LINE SPOOL FLAT ON THE THE FLOOR WITH THE LABEL UP AND WIND THE REEL TO WITHIN 1/8 INCH OF FULL. MAKE SURE THE LABEL IS UP! YOU SHOULD HAVE NO TWIST! BY FOLLOWING THIS PROCEDURE, YOU PUT TWIST IN THE LINE AS IT COMES OFF THE SPOOL AND THE REEL UN-TWISTS AN EQUAL AMOUNT.

MONK http://MONKSCRAPPIE.COM
    That method really works good but it depends also on how big a spool it is coming off of & how big a spool it is going on to. I do what you do but I do one other thing. I go in the ketchen & run a sink full of hot water. I then put the line spool in the water label up & let it set for a few minutes before I start putting it on the reel. As you reel in the spool will rotate in the water if the line starts getting a little twist in it. I have found that the slower you reel the better it goes on. Just a little trick grandaddy taught me. :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Once you load it spray the newly spooled line heavily with Reel Magic. It will help the new line to conform to the new spool without excessive memory. I've started doing this because I hate when new line just comes spitting off the new spool.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Just when you start reeling it on after a few rounds of the handle lean the tip of your rod to the spool to make slack. If it coils bad then turn the spool of line over and put it on with tension.

Most line will come where the line is supposed to come off from the label side, but every once in a while it is not that way.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Wiskers,

Get a 1:1 reel and you can't speed and line don't krinkle, hot or cold.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

i have 3 spools of mr. crappie line and ALL of them have to be label down to spool my reels right. Don't always go by the label always up system.
    I don't go Fishing...I go CATCHING!

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/Badi2de/

Post Thanks / Like

Dangit Dayton I hate to see ya gittin bad info. It IS true that not all spools feed correctly from the sticker side but rather than having to bend down and flip it over just get a ladder and hang it from a tree sticker up and reel it on from the ground. If the ladder sounds like alotta work drive around till you find a Dominion Power line crew working and see if a polemonkey or bucketboy
    will hold it up there for a minute or two.
    If you want, come to my place. We'll peg the spool in my pasture and you ride in the bed of my truck and reel while I drive in tight counterclockwise circles around it.
    Whens yur birthday man? I will git ya one of them Fish Tacos that dude is peddlin then you can peek in the end of it & see how close to 10" you came.
    :D :D Yur Buddy,
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast