Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How Deep do you Position your Lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Deep do you Position your Lights?

When I'm nightstalking, I usually run my green light about 12-18 inches below the surface. I do OK, some nights are better than others. But it's got me to thinking......what is the best depth to position your light(s). I know some of you use surface lights, but my opinion is it's better to be under the surface, particularily in 20-25 ft of water which is what I usually fish. So how deep do you position your lights?

Post Thanks / Like

You live in the state that wrote the book on nightstalking. You might post this question on the S.C. board and address Rango. He's the #1 nightstalker on the planet.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no need to run the light deep. Just at the surface is fine. The depth of the light is the least of your worries. Placing the light at the surface will draw the bait in and it also keeps your line from getting tangled in the light. Some nights are better than others. Focus your efforts on different areas and different times of the year, until you develop some good patterns.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishnLine
    There's no need to run the light deep. Just at the surface is fine. The depth of the light is the least of your worries. Placing the light at the surface will draw the bait in and it also keeps your line from getting tangled in the light. Some nights are better than others. Focus your efforts on different areas and different times of the year, until you develop some good patterns.

Well said!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aero
    When I'm nightstalking, I usually run my green light about 12-18 inches below the surface. I do OK, some nights are better than others. But it's got me to thinking......what is the best depth to position your light(s). I know some of you use surface lights, but my opinion is it's better to be under the surface, particularily in 20-25 ft of water which is what I usually fish. So how deep do you position your lights?
    You have a PM on the other board. But looks like your on the right path. AS I posted you a link to Rango.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

My lights all say to put them about 1' deep.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my lights shallow, but try to cover all depths with my baits.
    Polar Kraft 1571 DB
    Mercury 25 hp 4-Stroke