Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jig rods

Post Thanks / Like

Question jig rods

All right fellas,

i'am being pressured to start jiggin and dont know the 1st thing about it. What considerations should i make when choosing a rod, which i feel is the logical place to start. brand, size, and any other things you might feel important?

much thanks

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you're better at it than I am. I have to be in the wide open or it looks like a sword fight, which I am losing. I think ugly stik makes one, if so my search would be over.
    Polar Kraft 1571 DB
    Mercury 25 hp 4-Stroke

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about vertical jigging or casting jigs? Or both?

For casting, I have a variety of rods in the 4.5-7.5' range. I like Loomis a lot, but I also own some less expensive Bass Pro, Quantum, and Fenwick rods. The action is light or UL, so they can handle 2-6lb line.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

To me jigging is a technique. I just use an ugly stick rod that has a sensative tip so I know what the jig is doing. For crappie fishing you don't have to be too technical. In fact if you use a slip bobber, the waves will impart enough jigging action to get you a bite. Crappies don't want a whole lot of jigging movement like a Bass would.

Slow and steady movements will produce well for you. Get a nice 6.5 to 7.5 ugly stick lite rod and go fishing.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I may have misunderstood. I was referring to the 12-14' "cane pole" types that are used. I am lousy with those.
    Polar Kraft 1571 DB
    Mercury 25 hp 4-Stroke

Post Thanks / Like

BnM, they are the best, very good feel and durable.
    WE NEED MORE COWBELL

Post Thanks / Like

I use a BnM 11' rod I bought from Wally World for 36 bucks it works great. With the length and the sensitivity of this rod you can use a lighter line.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am casting I don't use the long poles I use a 5 1/2' up to a 7'. I like to vertical fish and troll with the long ones. I love Falcon for the short ones as they are really great quality with out costing over $100.

BnM are good as well as WM Pro Series, but for the money it's pretty hard to beat these.... http://www.proanglertackle.com/

However WM's are on sale I think at Bass Pro or Cabela's, not sure which and they have great sales on them this time of year. They are IM 8 and have 13 guides (more than the others).

Anyway it's hard to pick without putting them in your hand though. I have all 3 mentioned above and I like them all.

All of this and anyone else telling you are just opinions though and if you can pick one up in your hand that would be best, if not you just need to talk a little more about what you like in a rod.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

For vertical jigging, I really like a 9-10 foot rod. The more sensitive the better. I really like a rod that balances well, so that it's not nose-heavy. If the wind starts blowing, sometimes a long rod will lose its feel. Then I will switch to a 7 1/2 foot fast action rod. I notice a big difference in the feel in the wind. The 7 1/2 is a good jig casting rod too.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Skip. The best way to decide what rod is right for you and what you like is to hold it in your hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast