Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Knot Knowledge......

Post Thanks / Like

Question Knot Knowledge......

Does anyone know a knot that will tie a mono leader to a braid? (see "Fishing Knots" in past threads on the Louisiana board). None of the standard knots to join line will hold. In surfing the fishing shows I came across one where two guys were discussing this knot, and indicated that they would put a site URL on screen at the end of the show to show how to tie it, but I lost electricity before the show ended. Any help would be appreciated......

labill

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Does anyone know a knot that will tie a mono leader to a braid? (see "Fishing Knots" in past threads on the Louisiana board). None of the standard knots to join line will hold. In surfing the fishing shows I came across one where two guys were discussing this knot, and indicated that they would put a site URL on screen at the end of the show to show how to tie it, but I lost electricity before the show ended. Any help would be appreciated......

labill
    I have been using the surgeon,s knot <> I don,t know the strenth of it as I use it to tie mono onto backing on the reels <> i,m always changing the last 30-40 yds so I use dacron for the filler line .
    perchjerker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knot Knowledge...

Perch jerker....

I've heard of the "surgeon's knot", but have never tied one. I'll look it up and give it a try. Thanks for the info. I'll post the results.

labill

Post Thanks / Like

labill, you can look on this site it has alot of diff. knots. http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/page6-1.html The Uni-Knot Version Of The Hangman's Knot is a very strong one.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Double Uni-Knot

Our reference recommends using a double uni-knot when splicing lines of different diameter or material. Otherwise, we use a blood knot. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knot Knowledge....

perchjerker, lebruce and Roberta,

Thanks for the tips, I'll try all of them and post what I find.

Good fishing,

Louisiana Bill

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can go to my web page. Scroll down and click on Knot Stuff. Go there and and see all kinds of knots...I ain't selling nothin". I teach school....It's my tax break..kinda...250.00 deduction at end of year... Ha...

www.tomsstuff.net

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill

labill

Labill
    I use a uni to uni knot but I cheat a little. A long time ago I got into the habbit of tying a plain knot in the tag ends. Pull it up very tight, and then trim the end off close to the knot. Then tie your uni knots and pull them up tight until the knot snugs up against them. I've never had one come loose.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Knot knowledge

Thanks to everyone for all the help; here's what I found. The double uni-knot (or the hangman's version of the uni-knot) works quite well for joining braid and mono. I tried the knots today on a local lake and was more than happy with the performance. I had the sensitivity of braid and the low vis of mono, and with "10 lb braid, 2 lb diameter" to 6 lb mono the knot was small enough to slip easily thru the eyes of my BnM 12 footer. IBNFSHN added a cute little trick by tying an overhand knot in the ends of both lines to assure that the line couldn't slip thru the knots. I liked the additional security! As a side note, if you haven't seen Cane Pole's knot venue on his web site, take a look. I've never seen an animated version of knot tying before, and it makes for a much easier concept in tying knots. To coin a quote from our own edhead, "CRAPPIE.COM members are cool!" Thanks again....

Good luck, tight lines, big crappie!

Louisiana Bill