Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for the Ultimate Jon Boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any tips for the Ultimate Jon Boat?

At the present time I do not have a boat. I drive an 01 taurus station wagon with roof racks, so I have the ability to roof mount a nice small jon boat for the time being. What I'm looking for are any tips for getting a nice jon boat setup to make the best of it. The roof mounting is only temporary for a few months to come, I'm on the hunt for a small truck to replace my car here shortly, then I'll be able to get a trailer to pull the boat and add some things to it.

I'm in no need of a huge boat, and for the investment, I think for what I'm doing with my fishing a jon boat is perfect. So far I've seen a few nice things, just little modifications like coating the interior of the entire boat with the tuff-coat type bedliner paint to both quiet the sounds when moving around in the boat, and to help protect the boat itself. I've also stumbled across this other post somewhere showing a really nicely setup jon boat. I definitely do not intend on going with the three motor setup like there but installing maybe one of those carpeted covers for a battery to power a single nice trolling motor and most likely mount a fish finder similarly etc. I know there is a ton of knowledge here and I can imagine a few of you fellas may have started with a jon boat as well, I'm just looking for some overall ideas of things to do, to make fishing easier and more effective. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Here's the model I'm looking at.
    Insane Panfisherman - Panfish & Crappie are my fish of choice
    Favorite LOCAL lake: Guist Creek Lake
    Home: Louisville, KY

WRHaynes
    http://www.SecurityConcept.org

Post Thanks / Like

for the time and effort I would have used Alum on the 2x4 sections, like they had a few in there that way, and POLY BOARD or SEA BOARD everywhere there's plywood...that WILL NEVER ROT...I learned this...Buy a boat that will be big enough once you buy a small boat and realize it's NOT big enough. All I'm saying is if you buy a boat and put a lot of money into it and the decide down the road to upgrade it usually hard to sell them for what you think they are worth versus what someone's willing to pay. 32" on the bottom isn't very much...I like to have atleast 52" on the bottom since we vertical fish and stand on the bow sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks sac-a-lait, I'll keep that in mind as I look around. I'd much rather find a new boat that I like, but I've been avidly watching a local thrifty nickel & boating sales magazine to see if there is any used jon boats in good condition, so that may be able an important factor, once again, thanks.
    Insane Panfisherman - Panfish & Crappie are my fish of choice
    Favorite LOCAL lake: Guist Creek Lake
    Home: Louisville, KY

WRHaynes
    http://www.SecurityConcept.org

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing you may want to keep in mind is the weight of the boat after you add all these extras to it. If you are gonna be loading this boat onto the top of your car you are gonna want it to be as light as you can get it, and it would probably ride better on the car if it is upside down and your rods and such are loaded inside the car til you get where you are going. If its gonna be awhile before you get a truck, you may consider putting a reciever hitch on your car, you can always flip the hitch over to make it higher. But I wouldn't recomend this unless your car was a standard, I am assuming your car has a 4 cylinder in it, and I don't think the automatic transmission on a 4 cylinder would be able to get the boat out of the water. If you are planning on getting the truck soon, i would suggest waiting to add all the weight til then. Until then I would stick with a tiller steer trolling motor, battery and maybe a fish finder (all of which can be removed for loading the boat)
    And I have to agree with Sac on the size. The smaller the bottom is, the easier it is to flip, especially if you put a deck and a high rise seat. You will lose the little bit of stability it currently has. I am not trying to discourage you from your project, just wanting you to take everything into consideration before you jump into it.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

WR, - I was in a similar position not long ago. I picked up a well used 12' semi-vee that I could load in the back of my '93 full size pick-up. Loading it became a pain, and the truck (185,000 miles) needed some work. I found me a little traier (helped) but the truck was having tranny problems. Momma got involved fishing about this time. Got rid of the truck and got me a new Ford Ranger. Momma wanted a bigger boat, so what is a fella to do????

Looked at the same boats you are looking at, then (with Momma) decided on a 14'. opted between the 14'-32" and the two 14'-36" models.

Ended up buying a 14'-36" Lowe Delta Jon. It was priced right in between the two trackers, and Hull thickness was right between them too. Got a really good deal on a new trailer as well. (Bought it at Martin's marine in Glasgow).
    I had a trolling motor, but rweally wanted an outboard to increase my RANGE. Motors are expensive! I opted for a Briggs & Stratton 5 hp. air cooled. It cost $800.00 Brand New. I was concerned it wouldn't be big enough, but I was wrong!!!!! It is PLENTY of motor for what I want, and pushes that boat with me and Momma really well. I don't need to get 10 miles down the lake in 10 minutes!!!

Anyway, the truck pulls this light weight set-up with no problems. (It is a 4 cyl) I'm glad I got the 14'-36" . Would,t recommend smaller, and I don't need bigger. I'm really happy with the outboard as well. The whole NEW package cost about $2,500.00. (Not including the truck of course!) To some folks that might be small change, but......it's what I could afford. I am pleased with what I have. Don';t think I'd change anything!
    "You ain't holdin' your mouth right! Did ya spit on your hook?"
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like

some ideas from a member.

http://members.cox.net/keith.w.davis/
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I see SteveJ already posted a link to the mods I did. You will need at least a 48" bottom width for the tackle benches.

Here is a link for Jon boat mods from one of our local bass clubs. There are also some good ideas there:

http://www.bassjons.com/mycustompage0025.htm

I recommend waiting and getting at least a 1448 (14' long and 48" bottom width) on a trailer.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

OOPS!! First off, I mis-quoted the price of that outfit. I was "On the Water" at under 2,400.00. That included all sales tax, titles for boat and traier , registration, everything. Secondly, it was MarkMiller Marine in Glasgow, KY. Must have had a "Senior Moment". They happen!
    "You ain't holdin' your mouth right! Did ya spit on your hook?"
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like

wr- it may be best to git a trailer the roof's on cars now day's will not carry a heavy load. back in the 50's when i was a kid the way i git to go fishing was to help out loading & unloading the boats on the top of cars & pickup's. for my dad. unckle's. nieghbors. it's just about a two man job to load a boat on top of a car or in the back or a truck. john

Post Thanks / Like

JMO. I would start with a trailer, you can get a bolt on hitch from reece for almost nothing, and i'll bet u a dollar to a hole in a doughnut that the hitch will be pretty close to your new truck.

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast