Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ice fishing ???

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice fishing ???

heard on the radio yesterday that a lot of fisherman were on lake erie ice fishing when a big part of it broke off & floated away. I hope everyone is OK. did anyone else hear about this ?

BIG LEO

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife heard it on the news yesterday. We live 1 1/2 hours south of Erie. The thing is, they lost all their equipment, when they get rescued. Also they have to pay a fine, plus pay, for being rescued. So one must ask themselves how safe is the ice. We have had snow, rain and a few unseasonably warm days. All 3 of these things can affect the strength and thickness of ice. Locally, some are taking big chances too, being on it right now. On one lake last week, two people fell thru the ice, because they were trying to fish some stumps. You get a bright sunny day, and the stumps will make the ice melt faster around them.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Bella ...

saw that "report" on CNN. Seems a big chunk of the ice broke away and floated 4miles away, carrying them & their vehicles/equipment off with it. They all were rescued - but, their belongings were not. I wasn't aware of the fact that they were fined, or had to pay for their rescue ... but I did hear something about people having to pay for rescue efforts (mountain climbers, snow skiers, campers, etc), or rather the "idea" of funding the rescue squads thru that method. I understand their method of thinking on that ... but, it still seems to be a little bit of "adding insult to injury".
    I know it's a common practice, up there in the Northland, to drive vehicles out on the ice ... but, I have to wonder how they explain their "losses" to their insurance agents ?? I'm just glad my lakes don't normally freeze over enough to even think about doing such a thing. If they did, and I intended to fish them, I think I'd invest in an "Airboat" ... rather than risk my vehicle, a ATV, snowmobile, and/or all of my equipment. ........cp

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats not the first time that its happened. Those guys that venture out like that know there is a chance for a breakoff at this time of year. The sane guys are more careful about ice fishing. After the weather we've been having, one should know better. I fish the bay but i wont dare risk going out on the main lake. On a more humerous note..... They probably hammered the eyes, drift fishing like they were.