Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How effective are the floatable fishing lights from bass pro?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How effective are the floatable fishing lights from bass pro?

Looking to buy a light for night fishing, specifically for drawing in fish. I was looking at the ones from bass pro that float on top of the water and shine down, and also the submersible green lights. Has anyone ever used these lights and are they any good and worth buying. Both models are at or under 20$.

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Imho

Both work but i've drawn more bait fish around the green lights .good luck with which ever you choose

BIG LEO

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

night fishing is my favorite fishing time. When I am anchored in open water or tied under a bridge I use both types of lights. green on each end and the floating beam in the middle. I don't know which draws the most fish but the center of the school is always concentrated around the white beam.
    When drifting, trolling or fishing docks I keep only the 2 green out. They really help me see my line and I can see better because no glare from the white light.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know which one is best. I have two lights and both are for use underwater and one can be use above the water. I have the quarts starfire II light that can only be used under the water as it gets too hot. It's a quartz light and therefore very bright and uses a lot of amps and can drain your battery faster.

The other light is a green florescent light that is easy on the batteries. It can be used above the water and I like it because the bugs are not so attracted to it as compared to the other lights. I guess the insects can't see the green light as good. You know how campers use yellow color lights on their camps to try to keep the bug away? I know that some bee and nector gathering insects see better in the Untra Vilot light waves and see the flowers differently than we humans. Not all animals see the various waves of light like we do. Snakes for example (rattlesnakes) have heat detecting pits in their heads and can actually detect the heat given off from a mouse. With those pits they can see in complete darkness. They don't need waves of visible light like we do as they can see the infrared light waves given off by the body heat of objects. Mamals being warm blooded give off lots of heat.

At night the the fish can come to the surface and not be seen as easily from below. The dark sky and thier dark ventral body colors help to hide them from predators below. Only the vibrations or sound waves given off as they move though the water will show their presence. Now on a moonlight night they show up as contracted against the lighter sky when they swim along the surface of the lake. At different times of the day the sun's rays are striking the water at different angles that that changes the way the fish are seen from predators below as they prey fish swim across the top of the lake. Fish are colored lighter on the bottom for a good reason. They are darker on top for the same reason. That is to say they can hide against a dark lake bottom better when the top of the fish is darker in color and blends in with the lakes bottom colors. We use the same thing in the US Army to hide from our enemies. Mother nature has helped to make the fish this way. Fish with lighter tops were easier to see and were eaten more often by predators. Fish that had darker tops were able to hide and avoid predation. Those darker topped fish lived longer and produced more offspring. Eventually more and more fish had darker tops and that is what we see today. Now areas where the bottom is lighter in color you will find fish that blend in with that bottom. There is a good study on moths that were effected by the smoke that stained the trees in a forest. First the moths had more white wings. As the industrial revolution unfolded the trees in the forest changed color on their barks. The smoke had stained the white colored bark a darker color. At first the population of white winged moths was high and there were just a few dark colored mutant moths. Over the next 100 years the number of dark moths increased and the number of lighter colored winged moths decreased. Now after EPA stepped in and got the factories to clean up the air pollution the tree barks lightened up again. Now the populations of white moths has increased and the population of dark moths have decreased again. Birds eat moths and if they can see the dark month contrasted against a white tree bark they can find and eat the dark month faster than they can find and eat the darker months. So this is how nature works guys. This is why fish are the color that they are. God made us with DNA, RNA and out of proteins and other minerals and the way they combine can be effected by what is around us. We are constantly experimenting with new combinations of genes every time we mate. Remember that most life as we know it on earth is made up of four base acids. It's the way we put those four acids together that determines what life form is made. Once change in the way we put those four different base acids together can make a change in the life form. Some changes are good and some are bad. The good ones live on and the bad ones die off. The environment helps to deterime which changes work out and which do not. OK end of lecture for today !

Oh yea back on topic. I think that the floating white lights are a good thing. I don't have any but from what I have read they seem to produce well. I need to find me some of them and try them out next summer.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

This is a big contravesy for the Carolina Nightstalkers - some of the old pros would not get caught with a green light anywhere close to them - they use the submersable white lights - other guys like the green lights - I have seen both work as well as the floating lights - I have seen the green ones out fish the whites and seen people do as good with the white lights - i use a combination of both - plus try to hang my laterns where the light shines over the side of the boat
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of lanterns do you recommend? Battery, plug in or fuel? Also at BPS they had 2 nearly matching underwater lights, both were 300,000 candle power but one had 2 colored len's red and green and the other was 5 bucks less and rattled pretty good. Which do you guys think would be best? Or would a combo be the best bet?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the gas lanterns with the disposable screw on type cans - I would stick with the q-beams or the bps brand of florescent lights
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Green light bad!!!lol...I have had problems lately with my q beam submersibles.They start leaking water and then stop working.This was after about a year of use so take it in stride but the floaters seem to last a lot longer and have less problems.Not to mention they draw less amps.Then you dont have to carry 8 batteries on board like me I think I just talked myself into replacing my lights.Thanks guys.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a few different lanterns to see with but I leave them home now. I made a light. 6' of 1/2" EMT(metal electric wire pipe) 12' of speaker wire a 12v 25 watt RV bulb, 2 battery clips and a light socket for the bulb. Thread the wire into the EMTconnect the socket to the wire and the clips on the other end. To hold it above your head use 2 3/4"emt straps(easier to slide in and out) on whatever is the backside of your night fishing setup. This gives you all the light needed to fish. It is like sitting on your frontporch. I put a dimmer switch on mine after awhile because I like to dim it when the fishing is smooth(no knot tying) so I can see under the water better. Total cost of light about 5 bucks and it last for years. Tip- keep and extra bulb in you night fishing box. It works great for nighttime trolling too.
    Now I don't have to deal with fuel or fire. Well my little heater this time of year uses screw on propane.

don't laugh at my graphics or, or, or, well just don't laugh.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your method Smitty. I use 25 watt 12v bulb in a clamp on lite which I mount to the windshield and shine up toward the bottom of my bimini top. The lite reflects off the top and lites up the entire interior of the boat. I turn it off when I'm not tying line or baiting a hook or looking for the bottle opener. I use a lawn tractor battery and it lasts several nites without need of recharge.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast