Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lower unit oil leak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower unit oil leak

Got back from the lake this afternoon and while picking things up, I noticed an oil spot under my motor. '72 Johnson 20hp. Its coming from the small hole indicated in the picture. Is it normal? I dont think it is. I decided to change the lower end fluid and it was milky. Perhaps Ive got a bad seal? My thought is the water mixing with the oil caused it to foam and come out this hole. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Milky oil indicates some type of water leak getting in the oil. Could be foam coming out there,but I don't know much about outboards.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

i had the same thing on 25johnson. machanic said it's come from the carb was told that hole has nothing to do with the lower unit john

Prospect Hill,N.C. LAKES, FALLS AND JORDAN
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re Lower Unit

If The Oil In Lower Unit Milky You Have Water In The Lower Unit And Need To Have New Seals In Same. The Hole You Are Showing Will Be Drainage Of Oil From Motor And Should Present No Problem.
    JERK THEM OUT BY DA ROOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this site about old outboard lower units. Says no perfectionist when it come to lower unit. Says it's very hard to replace the seals so it doesn't leak any more.http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/...max/index1.htm

I just bought a 72 evirude 25hp for duck hunting and it looked like the original lube from 72. It was so thick it wouldn't even drain.. Now I'm changing it after every trip to try and get everything clean and rid of the old stuff. It clopped out.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the most common and most over looked souce of water intrusion is from the gaskets on the fill and vent screws. A lot of people don't even know thay are there as they have a tendancy to stay in the hole when you take the screws out. I replace them every year when I change the oil in the lower unit. Its real cheap insurance. Hopefully thats all it is.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. The motor was running pretty sad today, might be to much oil mix? Didnt notice much smoke, not more then usual.

I changed the lower end oil today and did notice the plug seals looked rough. Ill get some new plug seals and change the fluid again then keep an eye on the water mix problem. Its probally been 2 years since I changed the oil last.