Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Scuba to see Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scuba to see Crappie

I have reached the age that I can not dive anymore, to many medical problems. I talked my son into being certified. He made a dive last weekend and his report was most of the catfish were hanging right on the side of the creek banks, in the lake. He said ever bank that was straight up and down had catfish suspended next to it. He told me the Crappie were on the bottom in holes or depressions on the bottom in about 15 ft of water. He saw a lot of gar fish in the grass on the bottom. All you could see was tails sticking out of the grass. I was suprised to hear where the Crappie were. This was not a big lake. Deepest water was 30ft. North East Texas.
    1967/68

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink sounds to me like .....

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePerchJerker
    I have reached the age that I can not dive anymore, to many medical problems. I talked my son into being certified. He made a dive last weekend and his report was most of the catfish were hanging right on the side of the creek banks, in the lake. He said ever bank that was straight up and down had catfish suspended next to it. He told me the Crappie were on the bottom in holes or depressions on the bottom in about 15 ft of water. He saw a lot of gar fish in the grass on the bottom. All you could see was tails sticking out of the grass. I was suprised to hear where the Crappie were. This was not a big lake. Deepest water was 30ft. North East Texas.
    the Crappie in this lake are utilizing the thermocline (if there is one) ... or just holding in the coolest & safest spot they can find. The cats own the vertical drops, and the gar own the grassbeds (where the most oxygenated water is, and shade) .... so the Crappie have little choice but to find the only remaining safe haven and still have a degree of comfort. They are where I would expect them to be, given high temps and seasonal conditions.
    Did he happen to notice/say where the schools of baitfish were, if there are any ??

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been diving in years, but have thought about diving some of the lakes around here, just to look around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    the Crappie in this lake are utilizing the thermocline (if there is one) ... or just holding in the coolest & safest spot they can find. The cats own the vertical drops, and the gar own the grassbeds (where the most oxygenated water is, and shade) .... so the Crappie have little choice but to find the only remaining safe haven and still have a degree of comfort. They are where I would expect them to be, given high temps and seasonal conditions.
    Did he happen to notice/say where the schools of baitfish were, if there are any ??

... cp
    He told me the minows and bream were in huge schools about the size of a small car. from five foot and deeper.
    1967/68

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePerchJerker
    Reckon he wants to come to Ga. and do some scuba diving on my lake? s
    Sounds alot better than any ole depth finder. :D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.