Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Deer Tail Preparations?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deer Tail Preparations?

Should start getting a few fresh deer tails in today or tomorrow. AS Bow season opens here this am.
    Any one have a special way they cure them out, to use for tying jigs? I was thinking about just de-boning then, Then salting them good. Throw them in the freezer to kill any bugs.
    Then after a few weeks. clean the salt all off. And wash them good. And then dye the ones what ever color I need.
    But I know there has to be a lot better way to do this.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Red, just go down to the local co-op and get some regular salt crystals they use to feed cows that in un-iodized. Just debone and cover with salt, rub into cavity where de-boned and forget it till ready to use. The salt will take care of any bugs or parasites.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just use salt and 20 mule team borax. Then I punch a hole in it and hang it to dry where varmits can't reach it. To dye it I use vinegar and rit dye.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

You might scrape all the fat off after you debone. The fatty tissue retards the dying process. Good luck, Pete.