Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Cement ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Head Cement ??

Read on the Net today that some people use Lacquer from the box stores or lumber yards and its the same thing you get when you buy fly head cement?
    Does anyone else use this for there head glue?
    Also think a post about all the places you find stuff for tying that is in a different store Or what will work great in place of something else.
    read on that the stuff in easter baskets in some stores is the same as Krystal flash?
    Pete

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I rely on Jann's Netcraft or the local tackle shop and get a head cement. A good clear "Hard as Nails" from Walmart will work too. I also go an extra step and add a drop of super glue druing the tying process. It seems to make your jigs hold up a lot longer and really secures hair and feather to the metal.

The stuff in easter baskets is a lot thicker and harder to use than a good Krystal flash.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Lacquer is what that is and you can thin it for use in tying. Something like MEK for a thinner.

However you can also buy the cheap black & white label head cement too and thin as needed. I always thin if it make a hard spot on my chenille as I don't like that.

I don't think you are going to find a cheap supply for good Krystal Flash that is very useful. I have not yet and I even use Krystal Flash Chenille some, like on my fuzzy looking jigs. However it doesn't come in large amounts so it's kind of high.

Also take note that Crystal chenille is not the same.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Pete, You can get by with cheap clear fingernail polish. It's laquer also. Thin with nail polish remover, which is acetone and methol-ethol-ketone. Hard As Nails is a good one, like Ship said.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Keeping it thin lets it soak in better.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Skip, you ever used any of this? http://www.loonoutdoors.com/products/hardhead.html
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvjign
    I have used the clear before, but never the colors, but I may get into that for color effect on flies and their heads. I may well pick up a few colors of that soon.

I use mostly regular head cement thinned pretty good. I use Sally Henson's, but not for my knot. I don't want any hardness to my chenille and I have moved over to Lacquer now and next bottle full will be Lacquer thinned with MEK. MEK is really good quality thinner and considering you buy by the Qt. it's not that high compared to regular head cement and I am buying a Qt' of Lacquer as well.

I use Sally Henson's on fly heads and some other ways and it's a staple of fly tying.

Thanks,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    I have used the clear before, but never the colors, but I may get into that for color effect on flies and their heads. I may well pick up a few colors of that soon.

I use mostly regular head cement thinned pretty good. I use Sally Henson's, but not for my knot. I don't want any hardness to my chenille and I have moved over to Lacquer now and next bottle full will be Lacquer thinned with MEK. MEK is really good quality thinner and considering you buy by the Qt. it's not that high compared to regular head cement and I am buying a Qt' of Lacquer as well.

I use Sally Henson's on fly heads and some other ways and it's a staple of fly tying.

Thanks,

Skip
    Well, the reason I asked, I've got some heads like I've been wanting, and gonna powder paint them. Then, I though about using Zap-a-Gap to put some 3-D Molded Eyes on, and using the Loons (Clear) for a complete head finish, so as to help seal in the eyes. Bad idea???

Thanks
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys as always ask and you receive.
    Thanks again. I just love this.
    Enjoying tying so much, And it gives me something I can do right now.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvjign
    Well, the reason I asked, I've got some heads like I've been wanting, and gonna powder paint them. Then, I though about using Zap-a-Gap to put some 3-D Molded Eyes on, and using the Loons (Clear) for a complete head finish, so as to help seal in the eyes. Bad idea???

Thanks
    Powder paint them and then use some kraft paint from Walmart (PLAID Apple Barrel) (Gloss outdoor Acrylic) for the eyes and then coat over with Sally Henson's. I use several colors for the base eye, yellow, orange,red & black for the pupil.

I use drill bits with a flat end and I use one large and one 1/2 or less the size of the first to put the black. After it dries put the nail polish on.

You eyes will look great and with depth. If you glue the eyes on they may later get off color like a white looking haze over them and I had some do that. So I don't use glue on eyes on jigs, but I do one flies, but then that is a total other deal.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast