Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started tying my own jigs. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Started tying my own jigs. . .

So a couple months ago my wife said I needed a new hobby when I'm around the house, so I started to tie my own jigs.

Needless to say, the first ones didn't look pretty, however I've gotten pretty good at it now (or so the fish think) and get them done quick too, so I've started to give them to family and friends and sell them to any willing buyers. I call them Muddy Waters Jigs-named after a friend's dad, whose real name I don't know, we just call him Mud.

Unfortunately, I don't have any decent pics of the jigs, but do have some of our catch. We spotted a crib up on the Chippewa Flowage in northern WI, and although we were facing 30mph+ winds, managed to keep on it for a little. Our catch on the cleaning table:

The Flowage is known for the big fish, but the effectiveness of my jigs did get it a spot on the hall of fame wall (this was actually the first that my uncle had tied):

All the jigs I tie are 1/32oz. generally use flash as well to add some shine to them. i guess they work for more than just crappie, caught this fella on one of my jigs (now retired), on an 8ft ultralight with 4lb line-what a fun experience!

Anyways, my wife has to work this weekend, so that means I'll be tying. I'll get some real pics of the jigs up on Saturday!

Post Thanks / Like

it just fun to catch one on a jig when you tie it!!!--makes you feel good--i made some that were 4 inches long and have caught big catfish on them when i troll--i havent figured that one out yet--
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch.Tying jigs is alot of fun.It's great catching something on your own creation.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Post Thanks / Like

Nice lookin catch. Nuthin more satisfying than catchin em on your own jigs!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking to possibly do this myself, it seems somewhat inexpensive to get started with if you only have a few jigs in mind that you want to make. Great catch though, I'm not even sure of what that big guy is, what kind of fish is that?

Anyhow I was thinking if you ran across any helpful sites/posts in particular to help you get started, I was going to see if you didn't mind posting the links here. Any help is appreciated, you're obviously not doing bad at all! Congrats.
    Insane Panfisherman - Panfish & Crappie are my fish of choice
    Favorite LOCAL lake: Guist Creek Lake
    Home: Louisville, KY

WRHaynes
    http://www.SecurityConcept.org

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool About time you finally joined us TJ.

We have been friends for many a year. I enjoy reading your emails etc. :D :D I told you that you would really like this site. I'm glad you finally posted man. Welcome to the best fishing site on the net from Alabama the beautiful.:D :D :D

Consider resizing your pictures before you post them. Go to your paint program to do this. Email me if you need help. As I told you in the emails, those are some nice looking fish made for eating.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 09-21-2007 at 06:40 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch TGannon.

WRHaynes, that a small mouth bass. Nice one at that.
    I started tying jigs last winter with the help of folks on this site. I haven't done any this summer but I'll get back to it again.
    What I've been doing also is keeping pictures of jigs that guys post. If I think I can maybe I'll try to copy some. That should be a sure way to learn how to tie different types of jigs.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRHaynes
    I've been looking to possibly do this myself, it seems somewhat inexpensive to get started with if you only have a few jigs in mind that you want to make. Great catch though, I'm not even sure of what that big guy is, what kind of fish is that?

Anyhow I was thinking if you ran across any helpful sites/posts in particular to help you get started, I was going to see if you didn't mind posting the links here. Any help is appreciated, you're obviously not doing bad at all! Congrats.

Bill go to the main page and look in " archives stuff we don't want to loose" there's some great video's there on tying fly.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, thanks wannabe.
    Insane Panfisherman - Panfish & Crappie are my fish of choice
    Favorite LOCAL lake: Guist Creek Lake
    Home: Louisville, KY

WRHaynes
    http://www.SecurityConcept.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRHaynes

this is a good one to help you get started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbyVxA8Qn4

it is quite inexpensive to get started. i bought a starter kit, however have already upgraded my vise so i can see the backside. also, i'm only 24, but my eyesight isnt the best. i suggest reading glasses (magnifying) if your eyesight isnt that good, that way you don't have to get your face right next to it and kink your neck and back all weird.

Thanks for the comments on the fish, i will post up some jigs later today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast