Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Garmin inland lakes map?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin inland lakes map?

I was looking at the maps on the Garmin site. It seems from what is shown, unless theyre showing a downscaled version, that it has less definition than the old "recreational map with fishing hotspots. the older maps are not available anymore [some maybe on e-bay] anyone have one of the newer inland map programs, and how do you like it? Its a $116 investment, so i'd kinda like to get the inside scoop. thanks. jm

Post Thanks / Like

anyone?

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

jmack, I have FHS Eastern Region and am very pleased. I probably don't use it as much as some of the others....I use mine to reference a way point to water depth after I return home...This way I can eliminate some waypoints next trip if I am running short on time....I don't think any of the contour lines are on the money...Too many variables...

I think I paid $89.00 for mine a couple of years ago so maybe $116.00 isn't bad..

I have some friends that use the FHS to decide where they are going to fish on a lake they have never been to...Just seems like too much planning and not enough cockpit time....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply DonG, what i noticed on the FHS, is lots of contours, stump fields, river channels, and secondary channels, even fish attractors that were put in the lake, but the new version on Inland Lakes, don't show hardly anything except contours. ramps marinas etc. thats from the mini version you can view and go to any lake in your region on the garmin site. i was just wondering how could they have went backwards, with less detail with all the modern technology.?

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmack
    Thanks for the reply DonG, what i noticed on the FHS, is lots of contours, stump fields, river channels, and secondary channels, even fish attractors that were put in the lake, but the new version on Inland Lakes, don't show hardly anything except contours. ramps marinas etc. thats from the mini version you can view and go to any lake in your region on the garmin site. i was just wondering how could they have went backwards, with less detail with all the modern technology.?
    Speaking of going backwards, I have seen on the board that some folks aren't getting the detail on new color DF as they do on the Grayscale DF...They are saying that the new color units don't pickup the fish arches ,in cover, as well as the old grayscale...Awful lot of money for less info...Also that the color is hard to see if wearing polaroid glasses...

Oh well, Garmin GPSMAP with Eastern FHS & Lowrance X87 Grayscale DF seems to work for me..

Check with Garmin & see if they are still enforcing copywrite laws on FHS..If not, I will try to copy one for you...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day