Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Cleaning Bream

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on Cleaning Bream

Ok I have fished all my life but never really ate much bream. I was wondering how most of your clean and also cook them. Do you scale them and cut the heads off and gut them and cook them like that or do you fillet them. If so how the heck do you fillet them little critters lol? I have heard they taste great so I thought what the heck I might as well try em.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They do taste great. Here is a video on how to fillet them. As far as cooking them, use a beer batter recipe or just season them, put some corn meal on them and introduce them to some hot grease.

FILLET CRAPPIES AND OTHER FISH
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCoph-C6Jo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQXIbS5Y-Qs
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I usually use an electric fillet knife but since them buggers are so small it would probably be better to use a manual then.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

I scale and remove the head and guts on most of them. They are some good eatin.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I dont mean to sound dumb but I guess thats a big habbit for me lol. When you scale them do you eat the skin when you fry them??

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's rare that I catch many big enough to fillet but catch plenty hand sized. I usually scale 'em in my basket behind the boat after I cut their heads off and split the bellies. Then they fry up the same as crappie.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by father of 4
    Ok I dont mean to sound dumb but I guess thats a big habbit for me lol. When you scale them do you eat the skin when you fry them??
    Yep!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Fried whole with the head off, scaled and gutted. Cut the belly open. Make sure you dip the tails in to some syrup once you got them cooked and on the plate. That's a freid crispy treat. Never filet them as you are wasting PRIME meat. If they are giant, like the one's I catch, Chunk them out or once they are ready to be fried, chop them in half. They will cook quicker. Only need to do this if he's 12" or more. Of course you eat the skin once it's cooked. Delicious!!!
    Last edited by sac-a-lait; 09-19-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

JUST DON'T CLEAN THIS WAY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUnZ_lpPq2w

Post Thanks / Like

This is how I learned it from my Grandpa and I've done it ever since. Remove the head, guts and fins. Use a Townsend fish skinner to remove the skin. Cut of the tail and you're done. The only bones you have are the main bones down the middle and the rib bones. After they're cooked, using a fork you can gently lift the meat off and it will usually peel off leaving the bones intact.

I've ate lots of different fish over the years fixed all kinds of ways and gills in the skillet are right at the top of my list. It don't get much better.
    Last edited by Hoosierdaddy; 09-19-2007 at 04:59 PM.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast