Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rose of Sharon ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rose of Sharon ?

About 4/5 months ago I scraped the bark off in a small place of a couple of limbs and bent them over and planted in pots keeping them attached to the mother bush hoping to be able to get new plantings. These are some old plants. My question is when do I cut them loose and plant? I have never tried this before. Hope it works.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried it that way.I have lots of hibiscus and sharrons now,so plenty of seedling available.When I first started,I would clip a bunch of branched and stick them in water-about 20 percent always seemed to root,then transplant as normal.

Post Thanks / Like

I will see if our Co. Extension Agent has any ideas on that. I dont know myself.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Sister has green houses and we cut the Rose of Sharon back before frost. We put them in water and add some rootone to the water, keep the pieces about 18" to 2' long and keep them in as much sunlight as possible and when roots are good, put them in pots with potting soil until ready to put in yard.

Post Thanks / Like

I found this on a website, hope it helps... Btw those are some pretty plants. My grandmother has one.

This was posted 4 days ago on the site.

Plant your rose of sharon outside now.

For perennials that bloom in spring ...like your bleeding heart...fall is the best time to thin out, divide & transplant. It's a good thing to thin perennials when they start getting overgrown. When crowded, the plants produce fewer blooms and are more likely to become diseased. Thinning is an easy, inexpensive way to generate more plants and to prevent one species from crowding out others.
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_p...396587,00.html

Water your bleeding heart days before digging so that more soil will cling to the roots when you dig it up.
    Prepare your new planting site before you dig up your bleeding heart, so you can transfer your bleeding heart immediately to its new location.
    Use composted soil or potting soil in the new site for your transplanted bleeding heart.
    Divide your bleeding hearts late in the day or when the sky is overcast.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook
    Never tried it that way.I have lots of hibiscus and sharrons now,so plenty of seedling available.When I first started,I would clip a bunch of branched and stick them in water-about 20 percent always seemed to root,then transplant as normal.
    That also works good for Weeping Willow trees. I transplanted several in my yard this way after I had to cut down the parent tree.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin