Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fly fishing for Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fly fishing for Crappie

I have a nice Sage fly rod I used to use when I fished for trout in Arkansas. I now mainly fish for Crappie. (spider rig) Wanted to break out the fly rod and use it a bit for Crappie. Have read lots of info here on fly tying and the likes but have not seen anything about technique. Floating line? Sink tip line? Streamers? Strip the fly? Let it sink? Strike indicators? What to do?

I am very familiar with different types of streamer patterns but would like to know how everyone uses them.

Thanks in advance...can't wait to get my first slab on the fly rod!!!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Wish I could help but I can't

Quote Originally Posted by rip-a-lip
    I have a nice Sage fly rod I used to use when I fished for trout in Arkansas. I now mainly fish for Crappie. (spider rig) Wanted to break out the fly rod and use it a bit for Crappie. Have read lots of info here on fly tying and the likes but have not seen anything about technique. Floating line? Sink tip line? Streamers? Strip the fly? Let it sink? Strike indicators? What to do?

I am very familiar with different types of streamer patterns but would like to know how everyone uses them.

Thanks in advance...can't wait to get my first slab on the fly rod!!!
    I don't use a fly rod. Whenever I fish a "Mickey Finn fly" I am still using an open face spinning outfit and doing my version of the float and fly technique. I am not coordinated enough to use a fly rod. I commend you for being able to do it. Me, I trip on all the line by my feet and the one time I tried it, my cast was "El toro poo poo" It was really bad.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Rip,

Check out the warmwater board over at FAOL (www.flyanglersonline.com) Lots of guys over there FF for crappie. Rick Zieger fishes for crappie a lot, and he writes the weekly "Panfish" article. From reading his stuff, I think he mostly uses a floating line.

Ron Kruger, a crappie guide on Kentucky Lake, is a very good fly fisherman. He thinks FF is very poor for locating crappie but excellent once you have found them.

Robert (dixieangler) FF for crappie. I'm sure he'll weigh in here soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco
    Rip,

Check out the warmwater board over at FAOL (www.flyanglersonline.com) Lots of guys over there FF for crappie. Rick Zieger fishes for crappie a lot, and he writes the weekly "Panfish" article. From reading his stuff, I think he mostly uses a floating line.

Ron Kruger, a crappie guide on Kentucky Lake, is a very good fly fisherman. He thinks FF is very poor for locating crappie but excellent once you have found them.

Robert (dixieangler) FF for crappie. I'm sure he'll weigh in here soon.
    Great web site...searched for crappie and got enough articles to keep me reading awhile.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41
    Me, I trip on all the line by my feet
    A stripping basket will cure that. Don't leave home without it!

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41
    and the one time I tried it, my cast was "El toro poo poo" It was really bad.
    Ship, nobody's cast looks good the first time they try it. Or the second time. Or the third time. Ya gotta practice. I bet the first jig you tied wasn't exactly a thing of beauty.

I've got a redfish trip coming up in December. I've been practicing my fly casting pretty much every night for the last month and a half to get ready for it. Fly casting is fun!
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 09-18-2007 at 08:53 AM.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I tried it and I failed miserably at it

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco
    A stripping basket will cure that. Don't leave home without it!

Ship, nobody's cast looks good the first time they try it. Or the second time. Or the third time. Ya gotta practice. I bet the first jig you tied wasn't exactly a thing of beauty.

I've got a redfish trip coming up in December. I've been practicing my fly casting pretty much every night for the last month and a half to get ready for it. Fly casting is fun!

I was not blessed with the coordination to be a flycaster. I guess I did not have enough patience. No I did not have a basket to catch all the line either. A few times my butt almost went into the water trying to cast. Yeah, it was embarassing. I took out my ugly stick, used the float with the same fly and outfished everybody in the boat. I used a weighted bobber so the cast went farther than anyone and used #2 lb line to the fly attached with a palamor knot. Worked for me.

I do like to see people fly fish. but if the water is more than 4 feet deep I', using a float. :D :D :D :D When I played football I was left end not left out. As a fly rod fisherman, I'm left out.

You saw the pictures I posted. My first jigs were just that, a first. They were ugly and even the fish laughed and said "You want me to eat that?":D :D :D

Then I started doing research. I posted a thread on here with some of the videos I found to help others. I got pretty good with the clouser and now I am very good with my GOTCHA jigs. Perhaps when I come this way again I'll learn to flycast. Now at 62, and after two shoulder surgeries, it is a lot easier to throw a spinning rod.:D :D :D :D Crappies don't care. Blluegills don't care. They just yell...."Ship's here. I'm going to Lake Crisco!"
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 09-19-2007 at 08:27 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.