Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: GPS/Humminbird Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS/Humminbird Question

Ok, here's the deal. I just bought a Humminbird 747c. I have a Magellan Explorist XL color GPS with a 3.5" screen. I was considering purchasing the Humminbird GPS antenna. What do you guys recommend? I am thinking of linking the GPS to the 747 and going from there. I don't have a large boat, Fisher 1648SS, and I think I could get by just purchasing the cable to link the two together. Is that not correct, and what would be the benefit of them being connected?
    ジェラルドの天候

Post Thanks / Like

Default Magellan Explorist XL Color to Humminbird 747c

GWDawg1, I don't know if it will even work. We make a cable for the Magellan Sport Trak and Meridian to direct connect but I do not know if your Explorist uses the same (Magellan) connector as these do. If not, you would have to buy our AS-HHGPS cable and Magellans connection cable than wire them together. If the Explorist has an NMEA 0183 version 2.0 or higher output that is at a 4800 baud rate, than it should work - although I so far have not been contacted by someone who has done this.

If it does connect up and work, than the Humminbird unit wil treat the Explorist like a GPS antenna. It will only get position, speed and heading data from the Explorist. Waypoints, maps and the like will not be transferred from the Explorist to the Humminbird.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

I also have an older Meridian unit and I use the same cable on the Explorist that I use for the Meridian. I bet it will work.
    ジェラルドの天候

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it should work to me to GWDawg1. Just be sure that the Explorist is sending the correct NMEA 0183 sentences as on some HHGPS you can select to send only some and not all NMEA 0183 sentences. Check the baud rate as well (needs to be 4800).

Let us all know if it works or not.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can