Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: hemostats+ powder coating Jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default hemostats+ powder coating Jigs?

What size hemostats do you use to hold the jigs when heating and then to put the jig into the fluid bed?
    I got to see a video of a guy that held the hook to heat the jig head. Then used a pair to hold the eye of the hook when dipping the jig. What would be a good size of length to hold the jigs with?
    Wife is going to pick up a heat guy tomorrow at Big lots if they have one.
    And to think years ago. Never thought I would be looking for these to use on jigs. LOL
    Thanks in advance.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I watched a 30 minute show on making 1 jig the other day. You guys do realize these things cost about 30 cents a piece right? That means if you get good like the guy on the show you are saving 60 cents an hour.......minus supplies for making your jig.........minus a six pack that helps you deal with the stress of tying a little string onto a little hook......minus the cost of new glasses that I would need to even see that hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure it's work ,but when they last several hundred crappies and I can't find what I want ....well I'll let the pic speak for itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Truth in the end!

I like your final results!!!:D

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

So do I. That's a good looking crappie and jig. Go ahead and catch you some more.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    What size hemostats do you use to hold the jigs when heating and then to put the jig into the fluid bed?
    I got to see a video of a guy that held the hook to heat the jig head. Then used a pair to hold the eye of the hook when dipping the jig. What would be a good size of length to hold the jigs with?
    And to think years ago. Never thought I would be looking for these to use on jigs. LOL
    Thanks in advance.
    Pete
    I use the bent tip ones for my painting and don't hold it by the eye because at some point you have to clean your hemostats because of the paint build up. So for me I like to hold the hook and I keep a wooden tooth pick handy and if the eye get too much paint I just use the tooth pick to remove some before it cools off. If I didn't do the job good enough and after baking I have the eye closed I use the bodkin and heat it up with a lighter and stick it through the eye and it will melt the paint right out.

I don't let any closed eyes go to a customer if I can help it. I would just have to not see it for that to happen as I make sure they are open one way or another.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Shilo ....

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    Thanks in advance.
    Pete
    I'd say a 6 inch set of hemostats would be sufficient. You might even want to invest in some of that rubber coating dip (for coating tool handles) and dip the "stats" (handle end only) to within about 1in of the pivot point. That way it will be easier on your fingers, and will slow the heat transfer from heavy use.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys for the ideals.
    crappiepappy that is a good ideal. I will make sure I do that. As it also keeps them from slipping out of your hands also.
    NJCrappie yes that was the one I was talking about..
    Do you think a 1 1/4 oz jig would work in your fluid bed? AS I will be doing Crappie jig's and Sauger jigs also.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJcrappie
    I am not sure if your referring to the power paint vid I made for skip but I use 6" bent hemostats. I use 2 pairs, 1 for heating and 1 for dipping. Powder paint will not stick to them if they are not hot and after a while if there is a little paint it wipes of with your fingers or a rag. I also air brush baits and get all kinds of paint all over the hemostats. I sit them in simple green over night and usually the paint falls right off. (I use an old mayo jar)
    this is the vid http://www.niffken.com/rcvids/ppaint.wmv
    I have not thought about using 2 hemo's to paint, but I may have to try that. Heat with one and dip with the other, can't take any longer than what I do I would think.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJcrappie
    Pete I am not sure if it will work in the small fluid bed but I cant see why they wouldn't fit in a 4 inch bed. In my 4 inch fluid bed I do 1oz poison tail bass jigs. The only way to know for sure would be to send me a jig or 2 and I will paint them and see how they fit. I have an extra 4" bed that I don't use.
    Pm me your Address and I will get you 2 of them and let you see how they turn out.
    I may have to look at going to a 4 for them.
    Thanks
    Pete