Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Replacing wheel bearings on my trailer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing wheel bearings on my trailer?

What does it take to change them out? It is a small trailer. Not sure what size of bearing it needs. Thanks

Jason

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here you go: http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/bearing1.html

After you get the old ones out, take the bearings and seal with you to get the new ones to be sure you get the right ones. There are several different sizes and sometimes the numbers on them are hard to read. I keep a spare set in the truck - just in case. Highly recommend bearing buddies.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The link has pretty right-on instructions. On some trailers, not all, you wont need outer races. Also, in all the cases I have had with my trailers the inner races were made into the bearings. Replace the bearings you take out....if no outer races were in your hub then you wont need 'em. The parts house you get your bearings from should give you exactly what you need if you carry a set in with you.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

just make sure you press the grease into the bearings prior to installing. Just a glop in your hand and press and rotate the bearings as you force grease into them.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tunica
    just make sure you press the grease into the bearings prior to installing. Just a glop in your hand and press and rotate the bearings as you force grease into them.
    Very important! I keep forcing it in until it comes out the other side. Its messy but does the job.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Get your self a bearing greaser it looks like 2 upside down funnels on a screw with a grease fitting on top. Just put the bearings in and hook up grease gun and pump till it comes out all around and its done.

Rick

Best tool I found for Greasing