Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Jig fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rookie Jig fishing

Well after months reading & seeing pics "for proof" about fishing for bluegills & crappies with jigs.Before I ask for help lets keep in mind that I have never used a jig in my life.My baits are "outa my yard night crawls" and minnows I catch.I have no way to make my jig heads either so ok here we go.I like to know what is the best place to get jig heads already on hook,and some jigs that may produce for me.I only fish local resvoirs maybe 20 fow at max.I dont even know how to put the jig/lure on the hook but will learn that after I buyem.Need this info for only panfish so I'm not buying stuff I'll never use.Any help/links/pics would be very appreciated. Thank you all so much !!!

Post Thanks / Like

www.thecrappieshop.com

Try this link for soft plastics and phone Steve for any questions you have. Also check out Skiptomylu or shipahoy on this site for hand tied jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd come on down to the fish fry and I will give you some hand tied jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Arkansas. Just find what works for you in the midst of all this wisdom, so to speak. Most importantly of all, enjoy what you're doing and share it with others.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits
    www.thecrappieshop.com

Try this link for soft plastics and phone Steve for any questions you have. Also check out Skiptomylu or shipahoy on this site for hand tied jigs.
    I agree these guys are truly masterful at the jig thing

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Fully agree with darryl,read the post and get what suits you, many tecq. that catch crappie,

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never leave home without them man. Sometimes they outproduce the minnows.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charger4404spd
    Todd come on down to the fish fry and I will give you some hand tied jigs.
    I have already discusedd this with ole lady steve.We are gonna try to do it.Wont pull my jon boat this time maybe next.If I come would it be to much trouble to call you in next week or so and maybe meet you down there b4 fry so you can show me where to go? If thats to much trouble I fully understand. Thanks Todd

PS.... I have to pick up my new aluminum trailer I order in abingdon,Va on sat the 22..Maybe sunday the 23 or sat the 29 or sunday the 30th we could meet.
    Last edited by Fishn N Wishn; 09-16-2007 at 07:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

For an EXCELLENT tutorial on jig fishing, read the book linked below. As you read, just substitute "jig" for "slider" and "crappie/bluegill" for "bass".

http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/D...60255&SKU=Book

It's one of the most informative fishing books ever, IMO.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you for the referral

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits
    www.thecrappieshop.com

I'll try and help you in any way I can. Send me an email and I'll send you some of the information I used to give students to get them started in fishing. I also have a diagram of two of my favorite setups.

There is nothing wrong with impaling a redworm or a minnow on a #6 or #8 hook. Most people will use a #6 hook or 1/32 ounce jig for crappies and a #8 hook or 1/60th ounce jig for bream or bluegill. To me , it seems as if it is easier for the fiish to inhale your offering.

For artificials I would use plastic in summer and a marabou tail in spring and fall. It seems as if cold water stops the action of a plastic tube. That's just y opinion. For size of tubes you can't go wrong with 1.0 to 2.0 inches. For color, you cannot go wrong starting off with some combination of chartreuse. Oftentimes I use contrasting colors just to make it easier for the fish to see. I will always add a little red because red is the color of blood and blood means a fish is wounded and attracts strikes. Always remember that big fish eat little fish so let your bait imitate the size of the forage the fish are eating. Good luck to you. Hope that helped.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast