Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: when will it happen?

Post Thanks / Like

Default when will it happen?

can anyone tell me how crappie relate to water temp? and when the greatest time or water temp for catching crappie?
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a thread from the Arkansas board that may answer your question.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=46676
    You can't fish with a hung line!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Wva ... Imho

Quote Originally Posted by fish-wva
    can anyone tell me how crappie relate to water temp? and when the greatest time or water temp for catching crappie?
    Crappie relate to water temps much like you and I do (in our "air temps") ... too cold and they slow down ... too hot and they slow down ... just right and they eat like there's no tomorrow :D

Seriously though ... it's a metabolism thing. Cold water slows down their metabolism, so they don't need to eat as often (they don't roam as much, so they don't expend much energy). Hot water doesn't hold much oxygen, for very long, and this stresses them (putting them off their feed, also) ... it also makes them lethargic (and not likely to expend a lot of energy chasing food). If it's available, Crappie will seek out cooler water depths, when the water gets hot ... and warmer water depths/areas, when the water is cold. That's what the baitfish do ... and Crappie instinctively follow. Crappie can tolerate water temps from near freezing, to 90+ degrees ... as long as there's enough dissolved oxygen in the water. But, they do tend to seek out areas where they have all the components of food & safety close by ... whether that's depth, cover, shaded shallow water (summer), or rock cliff banks (fall), or the thermocline (if present) and intersecting cover.
    Prespawn generally starts when water temps rise above the 50deg mark ... Spawn is from the 60-70deg range (depending on specie, and state/region)
    So - the "greatest" time is when they're shallow and on a predictable pattern ... when they're easiest to find. There's also a case for mid Summer or mid Winter, being the best time ... since they're schooled up in large numbers (so, if you find the school, your chances increase in catching them in numbers). It all depends on how you like to fish, when you like to fish, and where you like to fish ... vs ... how well you know their habits & habitats, in the waters you fish. If you can't find'em - you can't catch'em ... regardless of water temps.
    Water temps are certainly an important factor in "where" the fish should be, and how active they should be .... but, it's not the only factor to consider.

But ... to put an answer to your question .... for me, personally, I'd have to say water temps around the 60deg range. That works for me, during the time periods I fish for them, the most ... which is Spring & Fall. They're actively feeding (before bedding, or fattening up for Winter) and are usually shallow (<15ft deep). That makes them easier to find, more predictable in there whereabouts/movements, and more susceptible to my baits (and preferred presentation methods). But, there again, you have to take into consideration the locations of the waters I fish ... that may not be the case for others, in other locations.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

here on lake Wateree they r every where as long as the small shad are around.8) And I dont fish for them,they just r in castnet with small shad.Hate to throw them bac.Crappie heads r great blue bait.good night!

Post Thanks / Like

great info guys thanks abunch!!
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE