Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many people tie jigs?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many people tie jigs?

There seems to be a rapidly growing interest in people wanting to learn to tie their own jigs. I got to thinking (bad habit) that it would be nice to have a board dedicated to jig tying if there is enough people interested enough to justify it. Whatcha think? If so, someone would need to PM Edhead to request it and volunteer to be moderator. I'd be glad to do it but I think the moderator should be someone that has a lot more experience in jig tying than I have.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I tie my own jigs---new to it myself--it is fun and have caught several fish--It would be interesting to hear from others about their ideas and methods
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it could be a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm with ya great idea!!
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Post Thanks / Like

It probably could include molding skirts, making your own spinners, making your own molds,all sorts of stuff. A lot of crappie are caught on small spinnerbaits, inline spinners, wireform multiple rigs, all sorts of hardware that can be made at home.

You can even make your own crankbaits, if you know how.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Go for it ...

I think it would be a good addition to the site.

Someone PM Ed (edhead) and ask if this is feasible, and someone volunteer to be Moderator ... and get it on !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great.I like molding and tying my own jigs.Tied my first jigs over 20 years ago without a vise,that was interesting.I used bucktail and some heads I was given.caught some Muskies and Walleyes on them.I was still in school at the time,still have some of those jigs somewhere.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tie my own "GOTCHA" jigs and sell them too for individual fishermen or baitshops. I could not find what I wanted at the bait shops and it gives me something to do instead of "Honey do" projects. I started teaching youth how to tie some basic designs when I was a school principal to get them hooked on fishing. There is a thread in the archives http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...375#post305375 that I figured would help someone.

For me it is a stress relief. I only tie panfish "Gotcha" jigs because that is what I personally fish for.

Someone like Skiptomylou would be an excellent choice for a moderator. He is very knowledgeable on this subject. I'd like to see it too.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Default jig tying

I have always poured my own jigs. As a kid growing up we all used kip hair jigs, white or yellow were the only two colors.
    Then the plastic jigs came along with all the different colors. It was much easier to change color without re-tying.
    Recently I have started tying hair jigs again using deer hair (belly hair).I find that theses jigs hold a much larger profile in the water. I tie the jigs all white and use magic markers to change the colors. The highlighters that you buy at staples orange and neon yellow seem to work the best.
    born to Fish, forced to work

Post Thanks / Like

I have 8 molds in my collection.I usually mold 1/16 and smaller.I just tied a few with calf tail also tie some with guinea feathers and some with crystal flash.Never really tried marabou,don't use them very often.i just molde a unch with sickle hooks,like them.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast