Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Might Save You Some Money...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Might Save You Some Money...

The other night while fishing I had a tilt/trim motor quit working. I called several outboard dealers trying to find a motor, before calling the right one. Prices ranged from 200 to 265 dollars on a motor, which would not be in my hands for several days due to having to order it. Checked on line and 200 plus shipping was still the least expensive that I could find.
    Then I called a man that I bought my pontoon from and found out that he can rebuild the motor for 80 bucks. He also informed me that if the motor wasn't but 2 years old that I would probably find water and grease on the inside after I took it apart. His analysis was dead on! The brushings on the motor were covered in slim from the water and hydraulic oil, which had gotten by the seals. Now I am not a mechanic by any nature of the word, but for the price of a fountain pen spring, and the 30 minutes it took me to take the motor off the boat and apart, I had the motor back working until I can get the parts from him. If ever any of you experience this with your motor you might want to give him a call at Mid Lake Marine. He is located in Many Louisiana, near Toledo Bend reservoir.
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    The other night while fishing I had a tilt/trim motor quit working. I called several outboard dealers trying to find a motor, before calling the right one. Prices ranged from 200 to 265 dollars on a motor, which would not be in my hands for several days due to having to order it. Checked on line and 200 plus shipping was still the least expensive that I could find.
    Then I called a man that I bought my pontoon from and found out that he can rebuild the motor for 80 bucks. He also informed me that if the motor wasn't but 2 years old that I would probably find water and grease on the inside after I took it apart. His analysis was dead on! The brushings on the motor were covered in slim from the water and hydraulic oil, which had gotten by the seals. Now I am not a mechanic by any nature of the word, but for the price of a fountain pen spring, and the 30 minutes it took me to take the motor off the boat and apart, I had the motor back working until I can get the parts from him. If ever any of you experience this with your motor you might want to give him a call at Mid Lake Marine. He is located in Many Louisiana, near Toledo Bend reservoir.
    We have an auto electric shop in our area "Brownings" that say if it runs on 12V they can rebuild it. So I'm guessing that most other auto electric shops can too. They have rebuilt marine starters and I/O tilt motors for me.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va