Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig Tying Question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Tying Question?

I see some jigs that has other stuff wrapped around the thread part of the jigs.
    How do you add this to your jigs? I have 8 or 10 spools of this stuff. Some is sparkle stuff. Just wondering how you wrap and then tie it off.
    I know its has a name. But call me Dumb. I just can't' remember it. I think it may be chenille?
    Thanks for any and all info on this.
    Pete
    Last edited by ShilohRed; 09-13-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup it's called chenille. Tie in your tail then take the chenille and tie it in where you tied in the tail and just wrap it around until you get to the head and then make a few tight wraps over it then trim it off and whip finish.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up That will work

Quote Originally Posted by smoothlures
    Yup it's called chenille. Tie in your tail then take the chenille and tie it in where you tied in the tail and just wrap it around until you get to the head and then make a few tight wraps over it then trim it off and whip finish.

That is a great way to do it. If you are also adding Krystal flash or flashabou, put that on before you do your chenille. I like to choose about five strands and double it. Take the half way point and tie in, Bring the rest of the Krystal back over and tie in. This locks the Krystal flash in position so the Crappie can't pull it off. Add your chenille as stated by smoothlures. That should work out just fine.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

So Tie the end of the chenille in with the thread? Then wrap the chenille around. But how to tie it off at the end? I am lost guys.
    Sorry for asking dumb questions. But Just starting and trying to make sure I am doing it right. Been looking for a video on line with someone doing it. But have not found one yet.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Shiloh,

Go to youtube or google and search for "woolly bugger". It's a very popular fly that's tied EXACTLY like a chenille crappie jig. (There is an additional step to the WB - wrapping hackle - that you can ignore.)

Also, I would suggest you start out using half hitches rather than the whip finish to tie off the jig. It's a simpler method.

Don't feel dumb. This is one of those things that's ridiculously easy ONCE YOU SEE IT.

Good luck.

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lay your chenille on top of your hook by the jig head and cinch the end of it down with thread. Wrap chenille tight down the hook and back up to the head of the jig. Tie it off by making a loop in your thread and pass it over the jig head and tightin the thread. Do that 2-3 times. Trim off the chenille and that should do it. No expert but that's how I do it.
    You can't finish what you don't start

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's one or two. Hope it helps some.

http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/fly...james_wood/jam Great Chenille fly

Jig Tying Tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbyVxA8Qn4

Here is a thread on this forum that also might help. It has about twenty videos.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...375#post305375
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 09-14-2007 at 10:31 AM.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I start the chenelle on the jig I like to strip off some of the fibers so the inner thread is exposed and wrap that around the thread. Then wrap the chenelle tightly foward. When I get to the end I will pull the extra chenelle past the jig head and then tie it down with a few thread wraps. When thats done cut the extra off close to the jig body and then I finish with a whip finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys I have it now. Sure is nice to ask on this site and always get great help and answers.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Shilohred

Check your PM.