Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: planer boards for striper??

Post Thanks / Like

Default planer boards for striper??

Do any of you guys use planer boards for striper? I'm going to give it a shot this fall and was hoping for some tips on how much line to let out, good baits to use, and speed. I've already got some planer board rods and line counter reels.

Also, what do you guys think of using the mini-planer boards with a herring behind it? Do you think the mini's will support a fairly large blue back herring?

I'm excited to try these things out. Thanks and feel free to pm me with any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Planers

Hey Cleon i use planers all the time while drifting live baits.Usually will pull 4 at a time.I usually use 5-7" threadfins.I put about 30 foot of line out and then install the boards.I try to pull about .8 or.9 with the auto pilot.
    Planer boards work GL

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome pics!! What pound test do you normally use? I notice the water there looks pretty clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea that was Watts Bar Dam the water was very clear there.I usually use 17 pound test when fishing my local lake.You can scale up or down depending on the conditions but I wouldnt use much over 20 because i think it will interfere with the action of your baits.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm thinkim gonna have to go fishing with you ... they dont get that big up here

Post Thanks / Like

Are you just trolling the deal water there? Looks a lot like Pickwick dam. And I keep thinking the bigger fish are in the dead water. And not out in the current with the smaller fish feeding .
    I think I will try this here.
    Can you show a shot of the rig you use? as in swivel and hook. How far ahead of the hook is your your swivel? Also do you use any weight?
    I know we have a lot of big fish here. As even back in 1978 we caught some close to 20 lbs then.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

them some nice pic there hotrod we cant get that close to the dams down here
    Pepper & Ice

Post Thanks / Like

Great pics, those are beautiful fish, never fished for stripers w/ boards, I may have to check into that. :D
    Jesus Said: Come, follow me & I will make you fishers of men.

Post Thanks / Like

Cleon,I use and like the waterbugzz brand of board,they wont hold up a lot of weight such as the church and offshore brands.There made in NC by a fisherman,he is a good guy.He donated a set for a prize in last saturday lake wateree tourny.I have a pic of a board and fish on striper247.com under roanoke river reports.
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Post Thanks / Like

we use them all winter for the big rocks in the ocean, tomic is what i like to use best off the planer board :

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast