Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fish mounting question...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish mounting question...

Guys, I finally caught a respectable bass, and I think I will put it on the wall. He is presently alive, but how should I store him until I can get it to the shop? It may be a few days, and I don't want to ruin my first five pounder.... help me please!

Post Thanks / Like

Wrap it in a wet towel-put then put it in a plastic bag[garbage bag,ect],then put it in the freezer. It will keep for up to a year -make sure to get the air out of the bag and tie or seal it good. This will prevent freezer burn.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

if you can keep it alive thats the best. but freezing it works good as well. after the bass dies it immediatly starts loosing weight. so it will get smaller as well. or you could take a bunch of pics and a BUNCH of measurements and get a nice replica done then release it.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember to lay all fins flat to prevent breakage! Then wrap in towel as said above and so on. Or release and give measurements to taxidermist.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing my taxidermist told me is that dusting the fish with Borax before wrapping in the wet towel & plastic bag for freezing, will help set the scales and reduce the amount of color loss.