Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thursday Blackshear Report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thursday Blackshear Report

Decided to start with the bridge at the state park early this morning. Started catching them right away. Around 10 am they quit and I had 14 in the boat. Mostly medium sized....11 to 12 inches, with two about a pound and a half. One of the big ones hit a bare non colored jighead two feet from the surface. Must have been hungry. Also, around 8 I was under the bridge fishing and off one of the rip rap points next to the bridge, chaos broke out. A bunch of somethings were just exploding on the shad in an area about 10 yards by 10 yards. I paddled on over and had four rods out with shiners on bottom and tube jigs on top. In about ten minutes I caught six largemouths....I mean green carp . My last one was the best. He weight around 3 pounds and some change. He was fooled by the black and chartreuse tube. The others were all between 12 and 13". Gotta be 14 on Blackshear. And yes I will keep largemouth when I catch them, since I don't really target them too much. Well since I wasn't catching too many big mommas and papa's this time around I figured they must have went to the trees. So thats where I headed. I fished a bunch of trees I had caught crappie on last year, and didn't get a single fish. So they must have been somewhere between the trees and the main creek channel. If they were on the trees, I figure I would have at least caught one or two fish off of about 40 to 50 trees. So about 1 pm I decided to head over to Smoake bridge instead of hanging out under the park bridge waiting for a bite. Got to Smoake and got nothing for the first hour. I covered every piling from shallow to deep. I was marking tons of fish. Every row of pilings had at least two big schools on them. About 4 I was on the deepest pilings in about 20 feet of water when I got my first one. He hit at 18 feet, just off the bottom. Ended up with six by five o clock. One was 15 inches long, but really slender. Funny looking crappie. Could have been a big crappie if it had some weight on it. They all came from 18 feet. Weird. I haven't cleaned them yet, but none of them look like they have eggs in them. Maybe males or maybe not planning on spawning till later. Or maybe have already spawned? Called it quits at 5 and headed home. 20 fish for the day is alright with me. I've been real lucky in catching mostly nice fish. Had to throw only two dinks back today.

Post Thanks / Like

It sure beats working don't it! Thats a good mess of fish anytime. I have never had much luck at Blackshear, it looks like there should be fish around every tree, but there ain't. Got into some bream once on the mayfly hatch,caught about 30 nice ones in 1.5 hrs all on the same tree. Do the crappie respond to the mayflies the same way?
    Keep on with them good reports, those of us that can't get out like to hear from you that can. Not enough hours in the day to get it all done. I just need to hit the Lotto, but I gotta buy a ticket first. :D

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie are usually only there for about a month out of the year to spawn. Then they head back to deeper water. Yeah I had very little or no success at Blackshear the first year I fished it. Mostly due to only visiting a couple of times. But I'm starting to figure out some places to catch crappie that are within range of a canoe. Bridges allow you to get your foot in the door and have the opportunity to get a mess of crappie. And that is pretty much year round. Trees during the spring spawn. For the other places, you gotta know your brush piles or bottom contour changes...i.e creek channels.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Crappster. Thanks for the report.

Gonna try to get up there again real soon. Hopefully this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, am new to site. have fished Blackshear for about 35 years but really hard for last 10 or so. have not been able to go since last fall due to loss of fishing partner and Mean old 9-5.
    Have several weeks of vacation time saved up and plan to burn some of it in the next month.
    Really appreciate all the current reports on Blackshear so I can know what to expect.
    When I go I will try to update every one on results.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mud Turtle how is the river there . ben wanting to go but stayes to high and muddy when i can go.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Welcome

Mud turtle, Welcome to Georgia Crappie.Com. We are happy to have you join us . Hope you enjoy your time here and share your fishing trips with us.Good Luck! Jimmy S.

jeclif Guest

yes any help for us that haven't been there yet but we are coming and hopefuly all this will be a help
    are there any fish camps on Blackshear?? not counting the park its a little pricey for us

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

the onley thing is motels at cordale 10 miles away or the campground for camping . you need a tent or some type camper . it is mostley right on the water . there is a few sites up in the woods . but when fishing need to be on the water or close so you can leave the boat in . the boat ramp is in walking distance of the campground . just git a tent and a colman stove and staye there for $22.00 i think is the water frunt or a little less off the water . a amall 2 man tent isent that much . they have water and eletric hook up at the sites . just leave the boat in the water at night . bait shop and a grocerie store at the park entrance . one of the stores has a meat market in it . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papasage
    Mud Turtle how is the river there . ben wanting to go but stayes to high and muddy when i can go.
    Have not looked lately but Know some people catching a few shad. Will check and let you Know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast