Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crappie Fisherman vs Bass Fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Fisherman vs Bass Fisherman

Here is my question...Do you all consider yourselves solely crappie fisherman? With maybe an occasional white bass, bluegill, or anything else trip? It just seems to me that you can spot a crappie guy from a mile away...He would ahve a beat up aluminum boat from being in the brush year round, rod holders mounted, the longest poles available and best electrical devices money could buy...Isnt it really funny all the trouble we go to to just feel the tap on the end of the rod or a brushpile or tree in 20 fow? Obviously the bass fisherman get way more publicity than crappie fisherman, but why? I would love to see a Crappie Masters Classic televised on ESPN or whatever with a guy from Illinois or Tennessee or wherever using all different kinds of techniques and maneuvers to catch the big slabs!! Just my thoughts and wondered what everone else thought...

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Fisherman = High Strung, Tense, always in a foul mood, drives a boat worth more than most houses on the lake.

Crappie Fisherman = Laid back, relaxing, embraces nature (and occassionally a few cold ones).

Post Thanks / Like

But God love them they are good scouts...They run up and down the Lake and report their finds just as quickly as me, Mr. CrappieFisherm asks.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

ya see my avatar! nuff said

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie fishing would be as famous as bass fishing if we'd had a crappie fishing Ray Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm a little different... I love crappie fishing, those speckled critters are my favorite fish to go after. HOWEVER, I also like to go after those green carp too, from my beat up aluminum row boat. Actually, I enjoy changing things up now and then, crappie today, bass tomorrow, toothy critters the next day.

In the spring, before the spring crappie bite is on, I like to fish Lake Ontario tributaries for steelhead, and enjoy a few late nights of bullhead fishing.

Once the spring crappie bite gets going - I'm all about crappie until it slows down or my freezer is full. Then It's bass & pike (but I always have one line in the water with a crappie tube)

I'm going to be after slabs again soon (when the fall bite starts), I'm also going after Ontario salmon with my father in law sometime next week.

I guess you could say my favorite fish is crappie (best table fare), but I like going after pretty much anything that has fins, and since I don't get to fish as often as I'd like, any opportunity that affords me a chance to catch any kind of fish, is an opportunity I'll jump on.

Post Thanks / Like

crappie fishermen are reall nice folks to be around willing to share their fish catching techniques . theres some smart mouths amongst them but for the most part they are all right guys to be around. over on the sc board, it seems most of our guys fish for whatever is biting at the moment. crappie, catfish and striper are hot topics when their seasons are in. so is brim and with the advent of so many of em, the white perch. interestingly enough, theres very little posting about bass fishing. some of our guys also fish for bass at times but not on the scale of the tournament fishermen. some of the crappie guys i know pond fish a lot for bass but dont do much big water fishing for em. since most folks around here practise catch and eat, gettin involved in the types of fishing that require C&R is not too popular. if the truth was known, id say the green carpers also fish for other species when they wanting something to eat :D
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    if the truth was known, id say the green carpers also fish for other species when they wanting something to eat :D
    That's for sure - those green carp always have a muddy taste to them!

Smallmouth, though, are pretty tasty, but still can't hold a candle to crappie. Once you've had crappie, it's hard to choke down other kinds of fish.

As for personalities... you hit the nail on the head. Stop by any bass fishing forum (I know of only one exception) and see how many arguments there are - tons. The moderators are busy locking down or deleting threads because too many green carpers get nasty with each other. Then you look here, and how often do you see an argument - almost never. That says a lot about the personalities involved with bass fishing vs crappie fishing.
    Last edited by joejv4; 09-11-2007 at 07:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

joejv4, You forgot to mention the Yellow Perch! My Dad has been on them all summer over in Oswego. My Mom says give away the Crappie filets but you better keep those Perch! My Wife however says give away the Perch filets but you better keep the Crappie filets!

For the origional question.. I consider myself a pan fisherman first and formost but will ocasionally stray.. but not for the largemouth bass.. When I stray I am going after the Salmon too. Also, since I moved down to North Carolina I have discovered the spring run of Striper, so we'll fish for them for a couple months then go right back to the Crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly all all of my fishing is for Gills and Crappies anymore.I have Bass and Muskie tackle that just collects dust.Used to fish for trout some too.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast