Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tying deer belly hair?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tying deer belly hair?

Whats the secret for tying this type hair? I don't have any problem with tail hair but with the belly hair it always looks like a woman with a super bad hair day.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

You GOT to get the deer to be still while you are tying it!!!! :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Belly hair from northern deer is hollow. That's the deer's insulation to a degree. Most southern deer don't have hollow hair, only if the weather gets unusually cold. Even some northern bucktails will have some hollow hair, but southern bucktails will have mostly solid hair. The solid hairs always have worked best for me. I am from the south and prefer bucktails that i collect during deer season that I bone out, dry, and dye.

making a jig with it kinda resembles Phillis Diller's hairdo.
    Last edited by willsjwills; 09-10-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Whats the secret for tying this type hair? I don't have any problem with tail hair but with the belly hair it always looks like a woman with a super bad hair day.
    Mostly belly or "premo" deer hair is for spinning deer hair flies, not that they don't use non premo for that too, it's just better. That is where you want it to stand on ends and you put so much of it then you use a razor blade to cut away what you don't want.

I have done a little of this, but not enough to get good yet. I do plan of getting better and have done a few jigs. It's a very cool type of tying IMHO.

Here is one I did last year and it's not that good, but should give you an idea of what I mean (actually I should have packed it on even tighter)...

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It being hollow makes sense as to why it stands up. That looks good to me Skip.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped tying my own and just threw away two gallon bags of deer hair (gray and white) I had frozen. What a waste I'm sure, but anyone that's serious about it, I guarantee since we are on the water most every day we can get more fur and feathers to'em than they can use. Of course, that is in exchange for a few jigs for field trials.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]