Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to buy a riding mower

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time to buy a riding mower

I am going to buy a riding mower here soon and wanted every ones input. I have less than one acre and was leaning toward John Deer but want to keep my options open. Thanks

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new one earlier in the season. I bought a Toro titan Z. I love it

Post Thanks / Like

I mow 5 acres..I use a Craftsman GT 5000 26 hp twin overhead cam 48" cut.Does wonderful.Only fault I have is,it sits so high with the big wheels makes you feel like your riding a airplane instead of being close to ground.I'll post a pic later this PM.
    Last edited by Fishn N Wishn; 09-11-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

ZTR is the only choice, even with a small lot. Mow in half the time, and no push mowing to finish up. I haven't owned or used a push mower since we bought our ZTR in 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mower

Hey, You need to really check out the John Deere very close, they are using
    plastic wheel bushing now, and they won't last long, but you can change them out and put low speed bearing in there.
    They use to a very good mower but something has happened to JD, they are
    no better than the others, I seem one the other day and the front wheel was tilted in bad because the axle was bent, I think you can buy a better built
    mower for your gonna pay for the JD. This is just my opion, talk to others owers.

srm

Post Thanks / Like

kubota 1600 hst is the only mower on the market, all the other imitations would have to stand on their mothers shoulders to kiss the kubota's butt jmo

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

consumer report a couple of years ago said for the money - the Murray was as good a buy as any - if you are mowing a big area I would suggest something a little heavier but for an acre - Murray would be fine - I have a Kubota myself and it is a good mower
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are talking about a zero turn mower, I would definately stay away from the John Deere residentials. Like said in an earlier post, they are not well built.
    One thing is they don't have greasable bearings on them. Now their Commercial grade is good, but for residential use, the Bushhog brand zero turn is better than the JD and for the same money. Regardless of what brand you decide on, look at all of them and look at the deck thickness and grease zerts on them. For a regular mower the John Deere's are decent. Once again look at the thickness of the deck, that is usually the first thing to go on them.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy a zero turn mower for sure! They are GREAT! Don't know much about brands, ours is a Dixon and have had it for 14 years. Mow mine and my parents yard every week. Mine is 1 acre, takes 20 minutes to mow. Mom and Dad have 3 acres and takes 1 hour to mow.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I like Sears mowers for best quality/price. Just stay away from Briggs Intek motors.

Mine threw a rod, so I replaced the engine with a used Kohler form another Craftsman. I found out that was a common issue with the Briggs Intek motors after doing some research.
    Been fine ever since. More power too, even though the Briggs was rated 18 HP and the Kohler 15 HP. Go Kohler!
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast