Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Feather Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feather Jigs

The other day, the guy at Hartwell that was telling me where he had caught some crappie showed me the jig he was using. It was handtied by a friend. It had a chenille body and a little bunch of marabou for the tail, but it also had a couple of longer hackle tips that gave it a very tantalizing, swimming motion in the water. Does anyone know of a company that makes a similar jig? Also, does anyone know where I can find, either online or otherwise, some information about tying jigs. Colors, proportions, etc. I have tied both wet & dry flies for trout and bream, so tying up some jigs wouldn't be a problem, but I would want to do it right.

Anyone one here tie your own jigs?

TIA

Tugaloo

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tugaloo
    The other day, the guy at Hartwell that was telling me where he had caught some crappie showed me the jig he was using. It was handtied by a friend. It had a chenille body and a little bunch of marabou for the tail, but it also had a couple of longer hackle tips that gave it a very tantalizing, swimming motion in the water. Does anyone know of a company that makes a similar jig? Also, does anyone know where I can find, either online or otherwise, some information about tying jigs. Colors, proportions, etc. I have tied both wet & dry flies for trout and bream, so tying up some jigs wouldn't be a problem, but I would want to do it right.

Anyone one here tie your own jigs?

TIA

Tugaloo
    You might check with Boscoe in the Virginia forum. He makes some excellent jigs. I personally think he doesn't charge enough for them but I'm not going to complain about it. Seriously, he makes some high quality jigs and I've had a lot of success with them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feather Jigs

Hi There
    Unless you just like tying jigs, contact Tee-Zur jig co and she will sell you jigs that will catch planty of crappie.
    Small Minnow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hand tied jigs

I just bought some hand tied jigs from a guy on Ebay. I didn't need them, but the pictures were so good that I bid $4 for a dozen (plus $2 for shipping) and won. The jigs arrived by return mail and, although they were almost too beautiful to fish with, I tried one today and it caught a few crappie and a 33" striper. The guy's Ebay name is junglejimjigs. He lists a variety of sizes and patterns on Ebay and a note included with my jigs says he will custom make jigs. I suspect the guy ties jigs for love as much as for money and that he would be glad to help someone learn the craft.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Tug ...