Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing

how deep of water are you guys fishing right after dusk? I was out last night and at around 8:45 the fish just quit biting, I was wondering around in 10 -20ft of water never found them again. Should ibe in around docks or out at the weed line? I am using a minnow on a slip bobber any where from 2ft off bottom to just under the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ehaug
    how deep of water are you guys fishing right after dusk? I was out last night and at around 8:45 the fish just quit biting, I was wondering around in 10 -20ft of water never found them again. Should ibe in around docks or out at the weed line? I am using a minnow on a slip bobber any where from 2ft off bottom to just under the surface.
    I have noticed the same thing. I shook up my usual pattern last week and tried the weed "tops" at about 3' deep around and after dusk - this after fishing mostly deeper weed edges with that fabulous 1/32oz naked hair jig. Right at and after dark the shallower weed "tops" worked mighty fine for me Best o' luck!
    "If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers."

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a float or cast and retrieve. I think I will try in shallower this weekend. I was trolling in about 14ft of water with heavy weeds ,and they were hitting on a 2" power grub before dusk. that is why I stayed where I did. Where do you buy your hair jigs at? I see there is a Keith that sells them and is located here in Minnesota. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ehaug
    Are you using a float or cast and retrieve. I think I will try in shallower this weekend. I was trolling in about 14ft of water with heavy weeds ,and they were hitting on a 2" power grub before dusk. that is why I stayed where I did. Where do you buy your hair jigs at? I see there is a Keith that sells them and is located here in Minnesota. Thanks for the info.
    Buy the jigs through Keith

I 86'd the float setup. Sometimes the bite was so light you would miss it. Just a slow drift dead-sticking the jigs right at the tops of the weeds. Just killed 'em.
    "If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers."

Post Thanks / Like

I went out Friday evening casted up to 3ft of water with a crappie minnow and it worked pretty good, got 5 pretty good crappies. The Gils and Sunnies were hitting good. I will have to order some jigs from Keith and try the shallows jigging. Thanks for the advice; I will try it once I get those jigs. I have some small jiggs I will try them to see if they work well, they did Ice fishing. I also went out Sunday afternoon and found the Sunnies in about 10ft - 12ft of water; they were pretty hungry brought out 20 in 45 min most were a little small though. I am heading back out Friday evening hope they are hungry.

Post Thanks / Like

btw, try 64th oz jigs from Keith. I have yet to need anything smaller. Possibly for ice fishing, but 64 seems to be the lowest I've had to go to get the bite on.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some ice fishing jigs I am going to take along with tomorrow. I will see if they are around the shallows. I have herd that the walleye are running real shallow now just after dark, maybe I will get a bonus fish tomorrow. I have pulled 2-22 inches out one last February and one the day before opener this year. I also have pulled a 10+lb Bowfin 30 inches long out of the same hole this last February I have picts I will try and post them. Not bad for 4lb fishing line I guess. I know it is a long way off from a crappie but you should have seen my eyes when it came out of the hole. It was also at night. It seams as though my picture is way too big I will try to resize it and post it later.

Post Thanks / Like

I was out Friday the Crapie are still in about 25 ft of water about 17 ft down. The sunnies are starting out in 14ft in the weed then move to about 3 after dark. There are some real big fish hitting something along the shore iam going to try a couple of cast right on the beach then drag my bait in the lake to seee what they are. I don't have any pict yet hope to get them on here soon.