Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never to late to take dad fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Never to late to take dad fishin

I got off of work at stopped by Rick's. Noone was home so I came home
    to what I thought would be a night off.
    My back is killing me from being in boats for too many days to count.
    All of a sudden this thought comes to me...call Dad.
    Jimminy christmas he says ..I was just sitting down to eat ,but I'll be right out after.
    So we hit the lake at about 6.
    He drills this nice eye to start thing off and wouldn't you know it ,it was a money fish.Dang! The pressure was on.

The wind was really hauling and our trolling was a chore.
    I watched my GPS and we were screaming at over 2.3MPH so I tied some rope to a 5 gallon bucket and made a primitive drift sock.Bingo ,right down to 1.4,then the speed was right on the money and we started to haul in walleyes.
    I went to the west side of the lake to get out of the wind for awhile and we smacked a fist full of bass.
    10 I think in like 15 minutes with a few more eyes mixed in.

The sun dropped and the wind slowed.We moved back out to the flat in the middle of the lake.I was hugging the west break and pip.I feel this light tap.I dropped my U.L. rod back for a second and reared.
    Half expecting the same ole small variety eater I come forward with my rod and holy smokes I got bottom.
    Well not really but that rod bent in half & I immeadiatly killed the motor.
    I told Dad I got a big one.
    I worked that fish to the boat hoping it was an eye.
    It ran 3 times on me back to the bottom.
    Finnaly I saw his eyes glowing ,the tell tale sign of an eye in the dark running a headlamp.
    OOOOOOOO weeeeee,I exclaimed.Grabbing the net I 1 timed it right into the boat.

Never did weigh or measure it ,but it took the all mighty dollar for the night.

Where in the heck was Rick or Mallard.
    Here's my Dad with a tomato blood core ring-n grub doing some business.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...Picture231.flv

As we left I told him that I almost did not call thinking it was too late.
    He said,son it's never too late to go fishing!

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Keith,

Man, that's great to see. I wish my father was as able as yours. I got mine out last year. I think it will probably be his last time fishing. I hope not, but I have my doubts.
    That wind looked rough to me. Glad you got a few!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

That's great! I took my dad on his last trip about 3 years before he died. We caught a bunch of crappie, but one we didn't catch stood out. He was using shinners and hung one and went to fighting it in (he didn't say a word and I didn't know it until it was right at the boat!). I looked around and saw the biggest crappie I've ever seen and have never seen a picture of one bigger! With my dad being mostly disabled, I stupidly reached out and grabbed his line (I didn't have a net). I eased up with his head and reached with my other hand to pick it up and I bumped the boat with the fish and he unhooked and swam off. All of a sudden I was 10 years old again and expected a holler, a screaming cuss, and a slap across the head. My dad just sat there and looked at the water where the fish went under and said in a low voice "I believe that was the biggest white perch (that's what we call crappie here) I've ever seen in my life." Him and I had both seen huge crappie all our lives, but this was the largest for both of us and is still my largest to have seen. He then said "Oh well, you can't catch them all" and baited back up and went back to fishing. This is even hard for me to type and that was about 8 years ago.

Thanks Keith for calling your dad! Him and I needed that!
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

you're right my dad was diagnosed with liver cancer last feb and has been in chemo since mar i ve had him out more this year than in the past thirty altho mom says no more boat so we fish from shore. he can only handle about 2 hours at a time but it's two that i will remember forever

Post Thanks / Like

Great stories fellas....thats what its all about.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to fish with my father one more time. God called him home to heaven two Christmas ago. I'd like to think it was because my brother up there needed a fishing partner.

Dad loved to catfish. My brother loved Tuna and/or bass fishing. I was the only one who was blessed with a love of panfish and Crappie fishing. None of this would have happened if my father had not taken the time to spend some time with his sons on the water. There is a picture of my dad on my website.

I use the sme tribute that Jerry McKinnis used on his TV show.
    "Dedicated to dad who always had the time to take me fishing."

Dad is the reason I posted the thread "Who mentored you?" It is in the archives.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=39157
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 09-08-2007 at 06:42 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

WTG Keith! Nice fish and I'm sure it was nice having your dad out on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stories.I hope i can get Dad out soon.He retired from work a few years ago.I think he retired from fishing instead.Maybe he just likes staying home with Mom.One of my favorite trips with him was when we went hunting(he shot a doe in the morning) then we went icefishing in the evening.That was cool.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys.
    All of our Dad's made us who we are today.
    The deserve all we can give them.
    More importantly think of all of the sacrifices they made for us.
    Whatever it is I can do to make my Dad's day I'll do if it's within my power.
    taking him hunting & fishing is one small way to make his day.
    Yet to him it's huge.
    You should here the stories he tell's his buddies.

Post Thanks / Like

That was a great post Keith,enjoy each other as long as you can.Lost my dad ,fishing partener and best friend three years ago.What I would give to have one more trip with him.But he left me with a lot of good memories to last my life time.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast