Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Humminbird ? for H_Gregg

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Humminbird ? for H_Gregg

Why did Humminbird not go with the NEMA 2000 protocol and go with a priority subsystem bus architecture? Lots of subsystem stuff already on the market that is NEMA 2000 capable. Just curious.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I asked I think I was told that the NMEA 2000 protocol was not mature enough yet to make the switch. Not sure what they meant by that but it could have just been one of those answers that really meant: get out of here kid, we're tired of you pestering us all the time! I do know that the bus system we have was in the works way back when we started designing the Matrix units more than a few years back. That plus the design time needed could be why we haven't ventured into NMEA 2000 yet. Let me peg one of our Marketing guys for an "official" answer.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

You must be a heck of a guy Greg, you sure take a lot of static and still answer questions. Thanks. I appreciate all the info you give.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62
    You must be a heck of a guy Greg, you sure take a lot of static and still answer questions. Thanks. I appreciate all the info you give.
    I don't know if you own one of the I or not, bu I figure to get my monies worth since I am out the bucks for this thing.

These are good points I am bringing up. Seems like most everyone agree about these issues that own the units.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Humminbird_Greg
    Back when I asked I think I was told that the NMEA 2000 protocol was not mature enough yet to make the switch. Not sure what they meant by that but it could have just been one of those answers that really meant: get out of here kid, we're tired of you pestering us all the time! I do know that the bus system we have was in the works way back when we started designing the Matrix units more than a few years back. That plus the design time needed could be why we haven't ventured into NMEA 2000 yet. Let me peg one of our Marketing guys for an "official" answer.

Ok. That makes sense.

I just read an article about Raymarine. They gonna go with the NEMA2000 this coming year on some of their stuff. No specifics mentioned in the article.

Post Thanks / Like

mduncan62, Cane Pole's not that bad. I've been through far worse. Most of what he wants to do has been suggested before. It's basic to my nature to help out where I can. 25 years of working with these things shouldn't go to waste.

I can't fault anyone for wanting to get their monies worth out of anything. Unfortunately a lot of what CP wants hinges on all of the major manufacturers adopting some type of common communication protocol and/or software. History has shown that isn't something that happens in any field where the manufacturers are not forced to make it happen for one reason or another. The NMEA 2000 communications protocol should make this more of a possibility but only if all of your systems can be connected to it. That would mean that the PC manufacturers would have to toe the line as well; which I doubt would happen. Instead someone else has to bring to market a black box and or software that will allow the necessary communication. The same could be done with the various depth sounder/GPS manufacturers and it will be this new person/company who will make the sales dollars for it. Just look at all the software and accessories available to the PC user. The possible sales dollars for some of the things CP and others want will eventually push someone into producing one.

Not everyone jumped on the NMEA 2000 band wagon. I think that many companies were waiting to see if it took off or to see what changes would have to be made in the first few years. I know that it was supposed to eliminate the brand specific communication issues and force everyone to use the same connections so everyone's products could play nice together. I understand that one manufacturer came out with some NMEA 2000 capable series of units and promptly used an unapproved connection system. So it looks like the NMEA 2000 specification does not have to be followed and yet you can still claim to have an NMEA 2000 capable product... This is part of what was wrong with the NMEA 0183 specification: although I don;t think that it specified connection systems it did try to specify the communications protocol and yet many manufactueres came out with their own proprietary sentences that others could not use. That's like saying that we all have to use English but its okay to make up your own words that others cannot understand.

Sorry for rambling; my belly is full from dinner and my wife is watching something on The Lifetime Network or whatever it is called (I know I don't want to watch it...). Just had to throw my $0.02 in there. I'll lt you know what the Marketing guys say about NMEA 2000.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I don't know if you own one of the I or not, bu I figure to get my monies worth since I am out the bucks for this thing.

These are good points I am bringing up. Seems like most everyone agree about these issues that own the units.
    I wat thanking Greg for all the info that he gives, and his personal time to do it.

Seems like a little research before purchase goes a long way. You don't have to own a unit to figure out what it can and can't do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62
    I wat thanking Greg for all the info that he gives, and his personal time to do it.

Seems like a little research before purchase goes a long way. You don't have to own a unit to figure out what it can and can't do.
    I have given my thanks to Greg and Eddie. You don’t know what I have researched, and you sure as hell don’t have a clue as to what I want this info from the unit to do for me. You know not my reasons or my capabilities here Mr.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever CP. I started out simply thanking Greg. This is clearly not part of his job, and I thought it was a nice thing to do. Now what, I'm getting my IQ questioned by the great one. Sprinkle in a little profanity to, nice. And let's see, I don't know your "capabilites" here, I'd say that could be taken as a threat. Consider me scared.

Post Thanks / Like

If you fell threatened by my presence, then you need to change your pants. You full of it.

Thanks for the compliment of me being the Great One. I am truly flattered by your opulent opinions.

Hell? A profane word? I thought it was a place of residence for wretched souls.

Your IQ? Not my challenge. Your comments speak for themselfs.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 09-09-2007 at 08:51 PM.