Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pedestals Bases

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pedestals Bases

I wanting to put in a pair of bases in my fiber glass boat would wood screws be enough to hold it???I cant use bolt because i have no excess to the under side any commits are welcome ?????

Post Thanks / Like

I would probably try stainless lag screws.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fiberglass decks are usually laid on ¾" plywood. I've used #14 stainless screws and they held very well.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't try it under any circumstances. Where the pedestal bases are currently mounted in your boat is reinforced. If you put them in other places, you take risks of injury or at least the bases coming loose. If you do mount seats in places other that factory mounted bases, do not use the pin type. If you must do this, use the aluminum bell type that give you a wide base for mounting and use WellNuts to fasten them down. Do not use lag screws.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills
    I wouldn't try it under any circumstances. Where the pedestal bases are currently mounted in your boat is reinforced. If you put them in other places, you take risks of injury or at least the bases coming loose. If you do mount seats in places other that factory mounted bases, do not use the pin type. If you must do this, use the aluminum bell type that give you a wide base for mounting and use WellNuts to fasten them down. Do not use lag screws.
    I definately support Will's opinion............You will expect this mounting project to be safe and trouble-free for whoever uses these seats. I don't have a definite answer for you on mounting directly to the deck, but consider the load (of the person), the fatigue on these mounts while running in rough water (with seat in place), and all-around safe longevity. I don't know your exact circumstances, but I would think about using an existing (factory installed) base as an anchor point for a "removable" seat bracket.......Think Safe

Good luck.....
    Last edited by luvjign; 09-08-2007 at 11:24 AM.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............