Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie bait

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation crappie bait

has any one ever tried the meps comet minnow and if you have what size also is the blakemore road runner topped with small creme tube a good bait for MONSTER crappie or a live minnow topped with a tube better?:D :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Newbie20 ...

Quote Originally Posted by newbie20
    has any one ever tried the meps comet minnow and if you have what size also is the blakemore road runner topped with small creme tube a good bait for MONSTER crappie or a live minnow topped with a tube better?:D :D
    I've never actually used a Mepps Comet Minnow, so I can't comment on how effective it might be ... but, I would consider an overall length of no more than 3 inches long, to be a maximum effective length for "numbers" of fish.

Roadrunners are a good bait for ANY predatory fish, Monster Crappie included. Whether you use them as they come, or buy the heads and tip them with plastics of your own choice ... is up to you. Personally, I like the marabou version, and have used it for decades with great success. I've caught many a one and two pound Crappie, with this bait, over the years. I also have a 12lb Tiger Muskie, mounted on my wall, that came on this bait ... as an accidental catch, fishing for Crappie with a 6ft UL outfit/4lb test line. My fishing partner used a Roadrunner/curlytail trailer, when he and I caught some really nice sized Crappie this past Spring.

Tube jigs by themselves, injected with Crappie Nibbles, tipped with Crappie Nibbles, tipped with a minnow, tipped with a live "worm/grub" of some kind ... all have produced for those who use them.

They all work .... none are "better" than the others, just more effective, at times, given the circumstances under which you are fishing. It's the "when and where" of the situation, that can dictate which bait produces better, at a given time/place.

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest freshwater fish came on a white roadrunner, 37lb striper with 8lb test line. I have tried the mepps spinners before on crappie with not much luck, but didnt try for long.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer