Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My technology delima...gripe...etc.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My technology delima...gripe...etc.

I have no grudge against any equipment manuf. I got good stuff from all of them. Never had any to fail. That is Garmin, Humminbird and Lowrance. The problem is I have no preference in my electronics and am not, nor will I be a dedicated 1 system owner. They all good. My stuff, as most all of us, now requires some type of PC interface to effectively manage its data.

I got a Lowrance 522, a Garmin 276, garmin 76, a Humminbird 797, a couple of etrex, and garmin gpsmap76 (family stuff). I just wish there was a simple way to manage these devices instead of the dedicated software. All I want is serial port access (but prefer USB) to all units so I can handle waypoints, routes, etcetera without having to massage every little detail with dedicated crap. The handhelds are easy so why not the big guns? I don't think this is too much to as of the manufs. And, I know they could do this if they wanted to.

If I had serial access with a generic management program such as EasyGPS, I could really simplify my life. Give an old man a break here.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree CP. I have been trying to manage 2000 waypoints with OziExplorer for a few years and it gets frustrating moving around in different formats. I've gone back to printed maps just because of the scale of everything. The laptop I have is hard to see outside with moving map so I am thinking of upgrading to what you are using.How do you like EasyGPS? Have you tried managing waypoints in Excel yet. I have been playing with EXcel for OxiExplorer and its hard to keep the name and number together. I am trying to make a Hotspot style map but the three digit numbers takes up a lot of space on the map. Glad to get some rain in Grand Rivers !!!! Have a great day !
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

If the clonensters know there was this much $$$$ in this ole hummin greg would be singen a new tune. For what we pay it's not to much to ask. one unit=two big hdtv's.
    CVA62.....64-68

Post Thanks / Like

When do you guys find time to fish? Sounds like ya`ll spend most of your time playing with gadgets. I would like to learn more about my 797, but I am addicted to fishing. As long as I can find waypoints,structure, fish and manage speed I am happy. Also the fish Id helps finding the depth of fish, such as in the thermocline so the hot depth is easy to find. I think we are getting alot of bang for our buck. Especially, when you compare to the LCX-113c from Lowrance.

Post Thanks / Like

For the first part I’ll keep it simple. You download some mp3’s from your pc and copy them. You play it on your pc, entertainment center, your car and your wife’s car. All different player but they still work. Open source. Bill Gates was sued many times for being prioritized. Will the gps systems are all prioritized. You are a captive to them. I should be able to take my way points from one unit to another as easy as you do with a cd.
    CVA62.....64-68

Post Thanks / Like

Man....I bet I don't catch as many fish as ya'll with gps and the fancy sonar units...but my cuba 128 from Wal-Mart does a descent job, water temp and showing the structure. All for less than a hundred bucks. Of course i guess I don't really know what I am missing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fessum
    Man....I bet I don't catch as many fish as ya'll with gps and the fancy sonar units...but my cuba 128 from Wal-Mart does a descent job, water temp and showing the structure. All for less than a hundred bucks. Of course i guess I don't really know what I am missing.

Sometimes I wish I could take the pressure off and just fish. Leave all the hi-tek stuff alone. We sure don`t do like granpa used to anymore and that is part of my heritage. I sometimes go alone and out of the normal traffic to just cast a jig and enjoy pure fishing. I love the wintertime for this reason. The weatther is starting get right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifish
    I agree CP. I have been trying to manage 2000 waypoints with OziExplorer for a few years and it gets frustrating moving around in different formats. I've gone back to printed maps just because of the scale of everything. The laptop I have is hard to see outside with moving map so I am thinking of upgrading to what you are using.How do you like EasyGPS? Have you tried managing waypoints in Excel yet. I have been playing with EXcel for OxiExplorer and its hard to keep the name and number together. I am trying to make a Hotspot style map but the three digit numbers takes up a lot of space on the map. Glad to get some rain in Grand Rivers !!!! Have a great day !
    I don't name 'em. Too much hassle. I've got over 8,000 to manipulate. None with names. I use ozzie. I can modify fonts, font sizes, symbols, all that stuff. You can do this individually, or as a group in the waypoint properties window. Really flexible. I got EasyGPS for my grandkids. Easy GPS too limited. I have not tried excell yet.

Do you have Ky Hydrographics maps? My waypoints are based on a "per section" of his sidescan maps. Easy to keep up with that way. Like fore instant: If I am in area 4d, I load waypoints from a file labeled 4d. Makes managing waypoints easy. Lots of my waypoints have the same number. But it don't matter since I pull up waypoints only associated with sections. Gps don't care what number you give it.

I like this LE1600 tablet pc. See it pretty good in any light condition. Prices are coming down on them too. It's not for everybody, but it is right up my alley. I like buttons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crip47
    For the first part I’ll keep it simple. You download some mp3’s from your pc and copy them. You play it on your pc, entertainment center, your car and your wife’s car. All different player but they still work. Open source. Bill Gates was sued many times for being prioritized. Will the gps systems are all prioritized. You are a captive to them. I should be able to take my way points from one unit to another as easy as you do with a cd.
    That ( in red) is my gripe too. Souldn't be that way. It is not fair to us, the users.

Post Thanks / Like

I do lots of fishing trips with friends and family. (Crappiefest) in oct. I prefish most of the time. NNNow, My Navionics chip will work in all the units. Gar. HB and Lowr., But in order for me to share my way points with you I have to go to a pc go through numerous steps. If it can record it can be played But they don’t want you to have control of your information. You might find you like someone’s unit better. This would benefit most of you
    CVA62.....64-68

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast